Motherboard is making problems

MaxData

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I have this:

Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz CPU,
nVidia Geforce4 MX 440 AGP8x 64 MB Graphics
1 GB RAM DDR1 ( two slots, each 512 MB )
40 GB HDD
Phoenix BIOS

Few months ago, that rig had only 512 MB of RAM.I was thinking of upgrading it with more RAM, so I did.Went to a computer technician and asked for that, payed and everything was fine.I came home to test it, and bang.Horrible issues and restarts ( My computer often has capacitor issues and they need to be replaced otherwise it'd restart ) + that technician placed a different graphics with same 64 MB`s.He said if there were any issues , I should bring it back.I did so.Came back home,problems again.Screen blackouts, graphic issues ( also known as artifacts on screen ) and restarts.Sometimes if wouldn't even start.

After he tried to fix it, he just said its a dead motherboard.I took the PC and tried to fix it myself.From total blackouts, I've managed to get it to work up to 10 minutes.After that, it'll just restart again, and again and so forever.I sometimes get constant beeping POST messages, telling me my RAM is not seated well, pff.

From what I know, HDD , PSU , and CPU are completely fine ! ( Replaced the PSU and thats not the issue )

CPU used to overheat, so I applied some thermal paste and holds from 39 to 48 degrees celsius.Issue is, it won't let me run anything.Mozilla constantly crashes, and I'm getting all those run.dll and Generic Host 32 Errors.

I'll get myself another PC, but I'd like to work at least on the internet.Games are not needed. ( Or anything 3D Related )

Solution
I must say you are quite persistent! It is probably a lot less costly to just purchase a new motherboard! If you want to try to fix your IDE issue, however, I would say that re-soldering the IDE connectors isn't going to do much for you. It sounds like a controller problem, as opposed to a mechanical connector issue.

Look for the IDE controllers on your board and make sure they are getting power. You can always try verifying the signalling if you have the proper equipment. If you don't have the equipment to check it out, I would just buy a new motherboard.

Part of the BIOS POST process is to enumerate the devices connected. If they are not selected as master/slave properly, or there is a controller problem, this can cause the post...

MaxData

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Alright , PSU , RAM and CPU are completely fine.
I fixed the PC ( don't ask how ) and it worked for a few weeks but now again it has other problems.

The IDE connectors on motherboard for Hard Drive and DVD ROM are dead.
If I turn on my PC without the Hard Drive and DVD ROM being connected to the motherboard via the IDE connector cables, they work perfectly fine, and I get the signal that they ( Hard Drive , DVD-ROM ) are turned on.But the motherboard can't read any data because they are not connected to the motherboard. ( only to PSU )

I've turned on my computer while the Had Drive and DVD ROM are connected to the motherboard via the IDE connector cables , they wont turn on, meaning that there are some problems with the motherboard.

Should I try to desolder the current IDE connectors on the motherboard and try to solder some other ones ?

+ I have checked the Hard Drive and DVD ROM on the other PC and they work completely fine.

MaxData

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Alright , PSU , RAM and CPU are completely fine.
I fixed the PC ( don't ask how ) and it worked for a few weeks but now again it has other problems.

The IDE connectors on motherboard for Hard Drive and DVD ROM are dead.
If I turn on my PC without the Hard Drive and DVD ROM being connected to the motherboard via the IDE connector cables, they work perfectly fine, and I get the signal that they ( Hard Drive , DVD-ROM ) are turned on.But the motherboard can't read any data because they are not connected to the motherboard. ( only to PSU )

I've turned on my computer while the Had Drive and DVD ROM are connected to the motherboard via the IDE connector cables , they wont turn on, meaning that there are some problems with the motherboard.

Should I try to desolder the current IDE connectors on the motherboard and try to solder some other ones ?

+ I have checked the Hard Drive and DVD ROM on the other PC and they work completely fine.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I must say you are quite persistent! It is probably a lot less costly to just purchase a new motherboard! If you want to try to fix your IDE issue, however, I would say that re-soldering the IDE connectors isn't going to do much for you. It sounds like a controller problem, as opposed to a mechanical connector issue.

Look for the IDE controllers on your board and make sure they are getting power. You can always try verifying the signalling if you have the proper equipment. If you don't have the equipment to check it out, I would just buy a new motherboard.

Part of the BIOS POST process is to enumerate the devices connected. If they are not selected as master/slave properly, or there is a controller problem, this can cause the post routine to hang or become corrupted.

Make sure the devices are set as master/slave correctly, if thats not the issue, try connecting the DVD alone, see if that works, the hard drive alone. If none of that works, your IDE controllers are likely fubar, and that's going to take a lot of effort to debug. Here is my friend Moss' explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C2Ph8zwpNyI#t=91

Solution

MaxData

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I was persistent, and I did it.

The problem were the pins on the motherboard that send power for the Reset/Power switch button.

The Reset switch pins weren't getting any power so unpluging the cable actually solved the problem.

( I cannot explain this, but using the Power Led and Power switch only makes things work.Thanks