[SOLVED] Motherboard is OCing CPU

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017
MY CPU is being boosted and I don't know if it's really affecting it's life span, but I rather it be turned off it is. I don't know how to turn it off and the same goes for my gpu. The CPU is running at a constant 3.8GHz It's and i5 8400.

Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
Cpu: i5 8400 2.8Ghz
GPU: EVGA 1070ti 8gb
RAM: Corsai Vengeance LPX 3000Ghz 16gb
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J7HWq4

Solution
The CPU is capable of 3.8GHz for all 6 cores.
Do you have "high performance" power plan enabled inside Windows?

If you do, that'll run you at 3.8GHz.

Most boards have a "Multi-Core Enhancement" functionality, which you can disable. Enabled, it'll (attempt to) run your CPU at it's max boost, or higher across all cores. You can disable this.
Also, MCE typically overvolts, which will impact lifespan.

If you're running within spec voltage and temps, you're not impacting the CPUs lifespan.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Most boards have a "Multi-Core Enhancement" functionality, which you can disable. Enabled, it'll (attempt to) run your CPU at it's max boost, or higher across all cores. You can disable this.

If you're running within spec voltage and temps, you're not impacting the CPUs lifespan.

Solution

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017

Oh I didn't know sorry I'm just really dumb about this stuff, but what saying is if it runs within spec I can keep high performance on and it won't affect lifespan? If so that's great I just don't want to have to buy a new CPU anytime soon.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Monitor voltages (HWInfo, HWMonitor etc). If it's doing it within spec, you should be in the 1.3V or less for VCore.

If it's Multi-Core Enhancement (in the BIOS) and poorly implemented, then VCore may well be 1.4V or higher.
Not definitively "unsafe", but generally that's accepted to be too high for long term use.

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017
Monitor voltages (HWInfo, HWMonitor etc). If it's doing it within spec, you should be in the 1.3V or less for VCore.

If it's Multi-Core Enhancement (in the BIOS) and poorly implemented, then VCore may well be 1.4V or higher.
Not definitively "unsafe", but generally that's accepted to be too high for long term use.
HWifno says the CPU status is around 1.2V and CPU-Z says it's around 1V

Last edited: