Question Motherboard is on, fans won’t turn on, power button does nothing

Aug 2, 2021
Hey y’all! First of all here’s my build

Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
PSU: Corsair RM750
RAM: Gskill 16 GB x2 (total of 32GB)
Case: Metalicgear Neo Sil
I have a graphics card coming but it’s not here yet so I know that at least can’t be the problem.

This is my first build, but I’ve had help from a couple of friends who have built PCs before, but they haven’t been able to figure this out either. When I turn my PSU on my mobo lights up just fine, but when I hit the power button nothing happens. No twitch in the fans, it doesn’t light up, no beeps, nothing.
I’ve verified twice that everything is plugged in where it’s supposed to be, all the USB ports including the ones right next to the power button work, and I’ve removed everything but the CPU and it still hasn’t powered on so I can’t figure it out.

Help is really appreciated this has been driving me nuts!

When I turn my PSU on my mobo lights up just fine, but when I hit the power button nothing happens. No twitch in the fans, it doesn’t light up, no beeps, nothing.
Probably one of these:
improperly connected power button.​
something is shorting out,​
bad motherboard,​
bad PSU.​
Can you show a photo of your system (motherboard view), to see, how everything is connected?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Reactions: Blazing melody
Aug 2, 2021
I'm not quite sure why your fans aren't spinning, but your CPU doesn't have integrated graphic. So you won't receive any graphic signals to your monitor.
I should have mentioned this but I actually don’t have the monitor yet either— all I’m trying to do right now is make sure the PC is functioning at all.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
I should have mentioned this but I actually don’t have the monitor yet either— all I’m trying to do right now is make sure the PC is functioning at all.
There really not much you could check without an monitor or display. Motherboards usually make a beep noise when there IS an issue. So if nothing is wrong then there should be no noise.

As for your fan, I think SkyNetRising got you covered on that.

Aug 2, 2021
There really not much you could check without an monitor or display. Motherboards usually make a beep noise when there IS an issue. So if nothing is wrong then there should be no noise.

As for your fan, I think SkyNetRising got you covered on that.
Okay, gotcha. I thought the power button would at least glow or something, that's good to know! Now if UPS could just get it to me I'd be looking good lol

Reactions: chaoyang

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
bad voltage could be a capacitor not charging un charging, unplug the pc and (remove the cmos battery if it has one) hold down the power button for a few minutes, install battery and see if it will turn on

Aug 2, 2021
bad voltage could be a capacitor not charging un charging, unplug the pc and (remove the cmos battery if it has one) hold down the power button for a few minutes, install battery and see if it will turn on
I haven't been able to find where the CMOS battery is. I looked it up several times, but all I could find was people (and the manual) saying to short the pins, which I did, but hasn't helped.

Aug 2, 2021
it my not have one, what pins did your short, hopefully not the bios reset pins if so put it back the way it was
It was-- my mobo manual said that I was supposed to. I just held a screw driver to it for 5-10 seconds while the power was off and then turned it back on. It was supposed to help but it also didn't do anything.

Aug 2, 2021
oh ok the power pins where you hook the power button, try doing the same thing with the pc pugged in and see if it starts
Sorry, just a little confused. I have the Power + and Power - cords plugged into the pins right below my 24 pin cable (connected to the PSU). Are you saying I should unplug those and short them while the computer is on?

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
I would disconnect the power from the power supply with the power supply switch still on remove the CMOS battery and press and hold the power button for a few minutes, make sure the power button is connected back to the board