Question Motherboard is on, fans won’t turn on, power button does nothing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 2, 2021
Hey y’all! First of all here’s my build

Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
PSU: Corsair RM750
RAM: Gskill 16 GB x2 (total of 32GB)
Case: Metalicgear Neo Sil
I have a graphics card coming but it’s not here yet so I know that at least can’t be the problem.

This is my first build, but I’ve had help from a couple of friends who have built PCs before, but they haven’t been able to figure this out either. When I turn my PSU on my mobo lights up just fine, but when I hit the power button nothing happens. No twitch in the fans, it doesn’t light up, no beeps, nothing.
I’ve verified twice that everything is plugged in where it’s supposed to be, all the USB ports including the ones right next to the power button work, and I’ve removed everything but the CPU and it still hasn’t powered on so I can’t figure it out.

Help is really appreciated this has been driving me nuts!

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
if you have a second build start swapping parts out one at a time with the ones you have until you get that one not to turn on i would start with the power supply first

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
you didn't break or bend those pins on the CPU I hope try taking the CPU in and out of the motherboard a few times and putting it back in some times the pins wont make a good connection

Aug 2, 2021
you didn't break or bend those pins on the CPU I hope try taking the CPU in and out of the motherboard a few times and putting it back in some times the pins wont make a good connection

I didn't, I was super careful and it went in cleanly each time.

if you have a second build start swapping parts out one at a time with the ones you have until you get that one not to turn on i would start with the power supply first

I don't have a second build, this is my first one.

Let me know if this isn't legible!
That huge cpu fan is covering up everything. Can't really see anything in that photo.
BTW - it's a really weird choice to put mITX board in ATX size pc case.

I'd suggest you wait until all parts are available. GPU is essential. Without it you can't start your pc.
Monitor is necessary as well (obviously).
There's no need to start thinking about returning parts, until you can test them properly.

When you get all your parts,
disconnect everything not essential:
sata cable, sata power to drive (HDD or SSD),​
system fan,​
USB connector​
Audio connector.​
Disconnect FP connector, connect power button cables only (double check manual for correct placement).
Connect pc beeper, if you have one. This will help diagnosing, if there' s an issue.

Can't see in that photo, if ram is installed. Ram is necessary.
GPU is essential. You have to install that too. Connect power to gpu, connect monitor.

Only then start your pc.

Aug 2, 2021
That huge cpu fan is covering up everything. Can't really see anything in that photo.

I'd suggest you wait until all parts are available. GPU is essential. Without it you can't start your pc.
There's no need to start thinking about returning parts, until you can test them properly.

system fan,​
USB connector​
Audio connector.​
Disconnect FP connector, connect power button cables only (double check manual for correct placement).
Connect pc beeper, if you have one. This will help diagnosing, if there' s an issue.

GPU is essential. You have to install that too. Connect power to gpuConnect monitor.

Only then start your pc.
Okay, you're right definetly getting a little ahead of myself. Thank you for the help!

I was kinda surprised at the size of the motherboard, too. I thought I was getting a regular sized one.

Aug 2, 2021

system fan,​
USB connector​
Audio connector.​

GPU is essential. You have to install that too. Connect power to gpu, connect monitor.

Only then start your pc.

Hello! I’m back.
So I actually have all my parts now and they are all installed. So my computer should power on now. But it doesn’t. I really can’t tell what’s wrong, everything is plugged in, all the cords in the right places.