Motherboard is probably dead but is the CPU?

Activated

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
So here is the setting:was busy on my desktop when the electricity in the house went down.Went to see the fuses-yes,the switches were down.Fixed that but since then had no chance to go back to my desktop when after a while decided to do something and tried to power that desktop on-nothing!And its not the PSU,tested with a brand new,just unpacked PSU-nothing!Usually this type of motherboard lights up inside when the PSU is turned on but the PC itself is still off.So I'm guessing that it's the motherboard(Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3) that is toast.But the most important for me is to know if that somehow could have damaged the CPU(AMD FX-9590) and if there is any way to test it.And if anyone has any thoughts on what exactly could have happened with the electricity:is it possible that it created an enormous voltage peak that killed my mother?or if it was a short,how that possibly can kill motherboard?Greatly appreciate all the constructive contributions!

Power supplies that feature an MOV (with Active PFC) would prevent surges from possible downstream damage but without that protection, there's no saying. In the world of PSU's, brand new does not necessarily equate to working properly, something to consider.

I'm going to suggest resetting the CMOS clock just to see if you can't get some life back in the motherboard here

John Floyd

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Its def not just your cpu, your mobo would still light up if your cpu was bad. First unplug your psu then Take the cmos battery out for 5-15 min 15 to be safe.

You could also try ding a out of case test with the bare min after you reset the cmos.

If that dose not help try getting a new board hopefully nothing else got taken out with it.
Srry this happened to you bro

Activated

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Thanx everyone.So I just did it:took out the CMOS battery,held it in my hand for about 5 sec,put it back and NO!...like total death.I'm just curious if putting myself through the trouble of testing the circuits on the mobo with a multimeter would assure me that its definitely it and not the processor that is toast?And yes,the PSU which was installed by the time it happened was ZALMAN zm460-aps with a sticker on it "active PFC".

John Floyd

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
You need to leave the cms battery out for at least 10-15 min. for a cmos battery reset to work. though i herd 5 min works on some mobo's i always to 15 to make sure and that i can rule it out. I dont think you can test a cpu with a multi meter but i could be wrong. The scary thing is your computer was on when this happened

Activated

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

yes it was running and...hhmmm 15 min? well, it has to be worth it(strange though).Going to try right now.

Activated

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

Ok so this time it was really like 15 min or even longer.I turned on the PSU-no usual lights on the board.I pushed the on-button and what the system did then was instantaneously turn on for like 1 sec with everything on-lights and fans, and then it went back to dead and nothing works again.Well,at least it is getting somewhere now.

Activated

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

So should I assume that it is all the mother and the CPU is totally fine then?

Activated

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
And here is an update on the situation.What I just did:repeated that trick with CMOS battery,took out the graphic card from its PCE slot,disconnected it from the PSU with all the rest of the components plugged in.Turned on the the PSU-no lights on the mobo BUT turned on the PC with the on-button as usually and there it is!I see the fans spinning,the watercooling pump is lit up (the blue Zalman logo) its fan is spinning,the case fan spinning.Next step I connected the graphic card to the PSU but let it on the table without plugging it into the PCE slot.And now I see everything spinning on the mobo but the GPU fan does not while normally it should be spinning and making some noise.So I guess the logical conclusion would be the GPU is toast,right? Because if it was the mobo nothing would spin and I think that if it was the CPU the mobo would not power up,right?So is it then possible that if the power surge was the cause,it killed the GPU but not the rest?Please,all your thoughts and comments are welcome.