Apr 16, 2021
Is it normal that the motherboard is still running after shutting down the PC? (e.g the mouse still has light, as well as the lan cable) I still need to flip the switch on the PSU to have it fully turned off.
I am running my pc on these specs
Processor: Ryzen 5 3600
Mother Boar: Asus Prime B450M-A II
RAM: 16GB (dual) Gskill Ripjaws V2 @3200mhz
SSD: Team Group 256 Sata M.2
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
Case: Sharkoon lit 100 RGB Case
PSU: FSP Hydro K 600 Bronze

Solution
Just because the OS is shut down, does not mean the motherboard and psu are not still active. Mostly the psu goes into a Standby mode, sort of like how a pc goes into sleep mode, and things like the 5v rail for USB ports and the 3.3v rail for the motherboard logic circuitry will stay on until you either pull the plug or turn the psu physically off by its switch.
Is it normal that the motherboard is still running after shutting down the PC? (e.g the mouse still has light, as well as the lan cable) I still need to flip the switch on the PSU to have it fully turned off.
I am running my pc on these specs
Processor: Ryzen 5 3600
Mother Boar: Asus Prime B450M-A II
RAM: 16GB (dual) Gskill Ripjaws V2 @3200mhz
SSD: Team Group 256 Sata M.2
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
Case: Sharkoon lit 100 RGB Case
PSU: FSP Hydro K 600 Bronze
Yes, some parts are normally still on after shutting down. (Some)USB ports to enable charging (Phone, mice, keyboards and other devices wit batteries) also to enable to (re)start using mouse or KB.
Network (LAN) to enable "Wake on LAN" feature.
BIOS should have options to enable or disable that, mostly ERP function.

Reactions: CrazyAsPinoy
Apr 16, 2021
Yes, some parts are normally still on after shutting down. (Some)USB ports to enable charging (Phone, mice, keyboards and other devices wit batteries) also to enable to (re)start using mouse or KB.
Network (LAN) to enable "Wake on LAN" feature.
BIOS should have options to enable or disable that, mostly ERP function.

Hey! Thanks for the response, just wanted to clarify that it is due to motherboard right?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just because the OS is shut down, does not mean the motherboard and psu are not still active. Mostly the psu goes into a Standby mode, sort of like how a pc goes into sleep mode, and things like the 5v rail for USB ports and the 3.3v rail for the motherboard logic circuitry will stay on until you either pull the plug or turn the psu physically off by its switch.

Solution
Apr 16, 2021

Ohhhhh. I didn't know about that! Thanks for the info. So I need to fully turn off the PSU to conserve energy? (and paying higher electricity consumption)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Power usage is like 0.1w per hour unless you plug something in to charge like a cellphone to the usb port.

It's pretty much exactly the same as a TV, ever notice how on some Tv's they have a small glowing led light in bottom right corner when 'off'. If the TV was truly 'off' there'd be nothing to power that light, nothing to receive the signal from the remote to turn 'on' etc.

Do you unplug your TV every night? Your alarm clock every morning?