[SOLVED] Motherboard (?) issue.-

Jun 19, 2021
Good evening. I'm having a problem since one week ago and IDK if it's related to the motherboard or the video card or what.

SPECS:
  • Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1081
  • Intel Core i5 3550 @ 3.30GHz / Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
  • Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz
  • ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LX (LGA1155)
  • 4096MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series (Gigabyte)
  • TV Sony Bravia XBR-49X705D AR4
  • 931GB WDC WD10EZEX-75WN4A0 (SATA )
  • 7452GB WDC WD8003FRYZ-01JPDB1 (SATA )
  • 2794GB WD My Book 1140 USB Device (USB (SATA) )
  • 550w Power Supply
Before this problem, I was able to play games like Doom Eternal or Hellblade in 1080p, but suddenly screen started to flicker / green lines / blue screen (not BSOD) / crash-reboot / crash-hang. I can't even play in 720p with the lower settings now, not even with CPU and GPU fans at full speed. Sometimes when it's hung, if I hit reset, when it restarts it just stays in a black screen doing nothing and I need to turn off/on. Sometimes it also started with no video signal at all (TV msg, different from black screen), and I found out that I had to disconnect the 8Tb HDD from the motherboard for the BIOS to load (I have this disk for storage and a 1Tb for the OS). Or it can restart and crash as soon as it gets to the Welcome screen. It's like it needs a couple of reboots to settle. I upgraded the video drivers to the latest (21.5.2, WHQL and 21.6.1 non-WHQL) with no luck. Tried "full", "minimal" and "drivers only" and problem persists on all. I used AMD Removal Tool, Display Driver Uninstaller and Revo Unistaller Pro between installations but not luck. Tried to roll-back to 21.3.1, which is the one I had when issue started (but worked a lot of time before) and no luck. Tried unplugging all peripherals leaving only keyboard to be able to move ingame but no luck. I even performed a clean installation of the OS and no luck!!! Ran DISM and sfc /scannow and everything's fine. It also can happen when watching videos or playing undemanding games. I had some error msgs as well when the game closed (and didn't restart the OS) like:
  • LowLevelFatalError ... D3D11Util.cpp ... Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost.
  • AMD Crash Defender detected a problem with your graphics driver ... the driver is working in safe mode with reduced functionalily.
  • Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to an unexpected error in the system.
  • dxdkrnl.sys + amdkmdag.sys errors in the BSOD dmp file.
No OC on CPU nor GPU. It also happens that the wi-fi disconnects 3 or 4 times when I boot until it stays on. It can also happen that peripherals are not read if I switch the USB or get "USB not recognized" type errors. That's why I think it can be a motherboard issue, some kind of short-circuit or something. Sorry for the long description, but it would be awesome if someone could tell me how to troubleshoot this in order to know if it's the motherboard, the video card, the video card's RAM... IDK. I don't want to buy a new motherboard to find out that the problem still persists. It's a very annoying, frustrating and time-consuming problem and I'd really appreciate if someone could give a hand with this.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
Try to update the motheboard bios, and if you wanted, reflash the gpu bios too.
Thank you very much for your reply.
It ended up being the thermal paste on the CPU (not GPU) of poor quality (I used Arctic MX-4 following other users' reviews but it didn't work well for me). I replaced it with some Corsair XTM50 and it's working like a charm now.
Jun 19, 2021
Try to update the motheboard bios, and if you wanted, reflash the gpu bios too.
Thank you very much for your reply.
It ended up being the thermal paste on the CPU (not GPU) of poor quality (I used Arctic MX-4 following other users' reviews but it didn't work well for me). I replaced it with some Corsair XTM50 and it's working like a charm now.

Last edited:
Solution