Question Motherboard keeps fying NVMe drives.

mancsoulja

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
I have a ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming motherboard pared with a 5800x, I've been playing around with overclocking and undervolting, trying to find the sweet spot as you do and as you may all know, sometimes when you're undervolting and it isn't stable your PC may just reboot. No problem right? Well if I have a M.2 drive in either of the NVMe slots when this happens they get instantly fried. First time it happened I assumed it was the drive, but after 2 further replacements from Amazon I figured out what was causing it. My GPU is fine and so are all the SATA drives, it's just NVMe drives that it happens to, anyone have any idea why this is happening? Could dodgy VRMs be causing it?

Lutfij

Titan
Probable, you might want to tear down to the motherboard and inspect every inch of the area where the power delivery is for the M.2 slots as well as the VRM's. On a side note, you will need to mention the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Please do include the age of the PSU and the drives that you have burned through(pun intended). It's also possible that the PSU might be at fault or that the drives were lackluster in build quality. All assumptions since you didn't state them. Also, are you sure you don't have a grounding issue in your crib?

Ralston18

Titan
New build?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What actual overclocking and undervolting configurations have you been trying? What values/settings?

= = = =

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15827_ROG_STRIX_X570-F_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

What M.2 SSD modules are you installing? Installed per Paragraph 2.1.9 on Page 2-11?

Carefully double check all component installations and connections per the motherboard's User Manual.

If not an overclock or an undervolting error then possible a short somewhere.

TRENDING THREADS