Motherboard keeps on resetting?

Leafy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Hey Guys I'm having a problem with my motherboard right now and need some help. So just now, as in right now my motherboard like reset itself. This is the 2nd time already, so what happen is i wake up after like leavin on my computer for like 4 hours and instead of seeing my windows screen i see the Screen saying press f1 to do setup, f2 for default settings, and i have to like deal with this all over again (i just used deafault again)

Does anyone have an idea why my motherboard would keep "resetting" like this? (not sure if this is the right word)
So right now i have to go back, and re-install my drivers and like games for windows live update,change my dates, etc., for the 2nd time, and im not that happy about doing this.

I did notice though this happens after I overclocked my Q9550, (psu is an ocz 600w). I think it was yesterday, when all i did was bring my fsb from 333 to 400, and that is all.

I'd actually like to take my cpu past its stock but if my motherboard keeps acting up i can't really do so.

It's an Asus p5q se plus, and my 2nd one already, don't tell me i need to rma it that'll be so tiring as some other people know.

(doin some quick googling, it coude be deduced to what seems the cmos battery, >.> why asus why!)

Put everything back to stock. Test. Run memtest to test the memory. Run Prime95 or OCCT to test the CPU. And run something like 3DMark06 to test the video card.

You can't just increase your FSB from stock to 400 Mhz. Are you using the stock cooler? If you are going to OC, you need better cooling.

It's time to do some work. Start here:

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Google a guide for your motherboard.

And it's probably not the battery.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

Leafy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
1. Yeah everything is back at stock, ill run prime 95 when i get back home, and ill try that 3dmark 06 thanks.
2. Well no i increased from 333 to 400, after i applied a new zalman 9550 cnps heatsink along with artic silver 5 . the stock cooler sucks no joke.

And yeah, i went out yesterday and bought a new lithium battery, and umm well i believe it worked. But the thing is, i pulled an all nighter on my homework, and i think i jumped on my bed and took a nap, but when i was half awake i went back to the computer and that screen popped up again about press f1 to run setup or F2 to load default settings for the bios, and I HIGHLY PRESUMED i was so sleepy i just pressed f2, hopped back on the bed and in an hour got back up and continued my homework.

I assume this because, my clock was messed, saying 2002 and a random time. And also everytime this happens, I can't connect to programs such as aim, it would say no connection, (to fix this i have to install my mobo's lan driver) So i did that, but i really can't recall if this happened, i highly think so since i couldnt connect to aim and re-installed the lan driver and could reconnect again.

I am going to head to school, so im going to leave it virusscanning/prime 95 and ill see if when i get home that screen's back up.

Thank you jsc though for caring.

P.s, well if cmos/bios really did reset again, it must not be the battery (meaning i spent 5$ on bleh) and i now need to go replace my motherboard?
Your opinion?