spider1357

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Hi i have a Gigabyte Ga Ex58 mobo with a 920 chip. i was using the pc normally and it was working finer and then suddenly it just shut down.

when i tried to turn it back on it keeps turrning back off at random times but its allways before i can boot into the OS.

I tried clear CMOS, taking the motherboard and testing it outside i also tried to take off the ram sticks and only operate with one or 2 but its still the same problem.

P.S the code i get on the LCD screen is FF which is allways showing meaning is fine.

spider1357

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
thanks for the reply. okay i actually rubbed off the thermal paste and used the rest that i had left. if thats the case i have an origonal intel stock cooler i could maby try that.

iam using the 1366 bracket and all the screws are tighted up.

spider1357

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Hey bilbat it turned out to be the PSU i tried another PSU in the system and it works fine. do you know if i could fix my PSU any how or is it back to the Supplier for RMA

bilbat

Splendid
Unless you have an oscilloscope handy, and are awfully deft with a soldering iron :sarcastic: umm - no! Most electronics these days are pretty much throwaway, due to large-scale surface-mounted IC's - damned near impossible to repair without seriously expensive equipment; RMA, & let them fiddle with it...

spider1357

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
lol nah i didnt mean opening it up. but i just thought there were some sort fo reset or somthing. because its wierd how it can power up for a while and then go off.

bilbat

Splendid
wierd how it can power up for a while and then go off

That actually does suggest a possibility that you can detect and repair. Check that, when powered up, your powers supply's internal fan is running, and keeps running - if it either doesn't turn, or ceases to turn after a bit, it may be overheating, and 'dying' of a thermal trip. If this is the case, replacing the fan should be well within your purview - post back with the maker and model number, and I'll figure out how to procede...