MotherBoard Killing GPU

meherpratap

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
So i have two year old Setup running a Phenom X6(had this for almost 6 years) on a Asus m5a97 r2.0 with 8 Gigs of ram bundled with an MSI R9 270x 4GB.
Recently i had to RMA the GPU since it was artifacting.
I have an old Sapphire HD 6850 2GB which was perfectly running before on a friends PC as a backup option so started to run my PC with that.
Now this card also started to artifact and black out whenever i try to run a graphic intensive program or a game.
It makes me wonder if i have a faulty MB or PSU as what the forums state.
I might be loosing two cards and would really like to narrow down the problem before i loose anymore.
Thanks

Solution
Hello

If something is going to 'kill' your GPU, the most likely candidate would be the PSU. If you have a faulty motherboard it might also cause the artifacting meaning the GPU might be fine but the problem is originating from the board itself. Have you tried checking the card in another PC? Put the Sapphire back into your friends PC and check if it is still doing the same thing.

Hope this helps :)

Zyb3r

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Hello

If something is going to 'kill' your GPU, the most likely candidate would be the PSU. If you have a faulty motherboard it might also cause the artifacting meaning the GPU might be fine but the problem is originating from the board itself. Have you tried checking the card in another PC? Put the Sapphire back into your friends PC and check if it is still doing the same thing.

Hope this helps :)

Solution

Thomas4140

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
So i have two year old Setup running a Phenom X6(had this for almost 6 years) on a Asus m5a97 r2.0 with 8 Gigs of ram bundled with an MSI R9 270x 4GB.
Recently i had to RMA the GPU since it was artifacting.
I have an old Sapphire HD 6850 2GB which was perfectly running before on a friends PC as a backup option so started to run my PC with that.
Now this card also started to artifact and black out whenever i try to run a graphic intensive program or a game.
It makes me wonder if i have a faulty MB or PSU as what the forums state.
I might be loosing two cards and would really like to narrow down the problem before i loose anymore.
Thanks
Hey man i have same issue, i wonder what your component was that caused malfunction?

Was it the PSU? I get first some artifacting and than a blackscreen even when installing drivers or after i sign in to windows with both my gpu's (that died after). I'm thinking about replacing psu. Tnx