kubiaka

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
I just want to ask the community if I am the only one that thinks these new motherboard layouts are just horrible?

I mean come on, with new high end video cards you end up losing slots because the slots on the MB are too close together. I know why this is. It is to keep backwards compatibility, but at some point you have to create a board that has all the new and NONE of the old.

I would LOVE to see a board that did not have PATA, no IEEE1394, no PS2 ports, no PCI. Just SATA 6, USB 3, PCIE 2.0 X16 X8 X4 X1, USB 2, ESATA.. This way I could actually build a PC with 2 high end video cards, a PCIE TV tuner and PCIE sound card and be able to fit them all in their card slots because there would be room on the board for them if the old technology was removed!

Am I the only one wanting this???? I mean seriously, why keep PATA when you can convert any PATA device to SATA with a simple $10 converter?? Who uses PS2 keyboard and mouse ports? Both of mine are USB. I haven't used firewire in YEARS everything has USB on it now and there is no reason to keep PCI slots, everything can be made PCIE now. I know this kind of sounds like a rant but I would seriously love to see this happen so that people like me can build what they want and not have to sacrifice anything.

Thanks for listening, looking forward to your thoughts! :)

I use ps2 cause they are so cheap used; some are free. Otherwise, I agree with your basic reasoning. But the minute you need one of those old ports (maybe due to a bad device) you'll be glad to have it. There are some newer boards that meet your requirements by Intel and even Ecs.

kubiaka

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Well, this is why I have a system with the old ports on it. I don't think they should stop making boards backwards compatible, just that there should be one model that is not instead of cramming everything on a motherboard when it is cramped real estate to begin with.