[SOLVED] Motherboard LED loops on DRAM/CPU; no monitor output

Mar 7, 2020
I could throw around jargon and fake like I know stuff, but I'm a mom of 7 who is finishing up a first-ever PC build and I'm in the process of learning a lot. Here's my problem. Everything is brand-new installed and the computer powers on fine, but the debug LEDs loop btw DRAM and CPU, and I have no monitor output whether plugged into the GPU or the motherboard. I did find reading elsewhere to try removing one of my RAM cards, and that made the lights stay off. I also tried loosening the CPU fan screws. However, still no video output.

My hardware (I know it will be a disappointing build for you awesome gamers, but mine's for more mundane work):

MSI Z390-A PRO LGA 1151 motherboard (Intel 8th & 9th Gen)
Corsair CS Series 650 Watt 80 power supply
Intel Core i5-9400F CPU (this is compatible with the motherboard)
XPG Z1 DDR4 16GB RAM
MSI GeForce CT 710 2GB GDRR3 graphics card

I don't really know where to go next...without a monitor I can't boot up (or don't know if I am) to install Windows 10 or the drivers for any of the components. Has anyone experienced a similar issue that they could please shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

Solution
Firstly, the I5 9400f doesn't have an integrated GPU... plugging your monitor into the motherboard video output won't work... you won't get a video signal. Your only choice is to be plugged into your dedicated GPU(GT 710).

Make sure every connection from the PSU is locked in place properly(8 pin CPU cable, 24 pin motherboard cable, sata for the storage devices), also make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan header.

Try reseating the GPU and the RAM modules(usually begginers won't insert them fully into the slot, because they're being afraid of applying force)... when the module is fully in you should hear a click and the retention clips locking in place(also make sure to place them in slots 2 and 4 or A2 and B2).

CPU...
Firstly, the I5 9400f doesn't have an integrated GPU... plugging your monitor into the motherboard video output won't work... you won't get a video signal. Your only choice is to be plugged into your dedicated GPU(GT 710).

Make sure every connection from the PSU is locked in place properly(8 pin CPU cable, 24 pin motherboard cable, sata for the storage devices), also make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan header.

Try reseating the GPU and the RAM modules(usually begginers won't insert them fully into the slot, because they're being afraid of applying force)... when the module is fully in you should hear a click and the retention clips locking in place(also make sure to place them in slots 2 and 4 or A2 and B2).

CPU cooler should be tightened to make proper contact with the CPU heatspreader.... loosening it might result in improper contact and your CPU overheating.

Also you should check if the CPU is seated properly... while you're there check if there are any bent pins in the CPU socket on your motherboard.

Reactions: ippagraph
Solution
The issue could be due to several things as mentioned above.

Briefly -

Remove the CPU and check for damaged or bent pins, and check that there is no "gunk" on or among the pins etc. Remount the CPU carefully and evenly. Uneven mounting can cause loss of pin/pad contact with issues occurring with the computer.

Check that ALL cables that need to be connected are connected properly, including the CPU auxiliary power connector.

Make sure the video card and memory modules are seated properly. Remove and then re-insert them into their respective slots firmly.

Reactions: ippagraph
Mar 7, 2020
ChumP and brispuss, you are the best! I had totally forgotten that the motherboard didn't have integrated graphics. Duh. My whole system is working now after troubleshooting a bunch. CPU/cooler were great, all connections were perfect, RAM seated properly.

My problem in the end was twofold:

In the beginning, I was using an older monitor that didn't have an HDMI port but that otherwise works fine, so I used an adapter with my GPU. Once I switched to a different/newer monitor with an HDMI port and no adapters, the GPU read it fine and suddenly I was looking at the Windows logo.

Second, by process of elimination I determined that one of my brand new RAMs was bad. Probably just from (bad) luck of the draw. One of them would allow the system to start up, and the other one wouldn't. Both of them together gave me the CPU/DRAM loop of doom.

Thank you so much for giving me things to check and getting me back my weekend. :)