Question Motherboard light (cmos and temp) turns off after start up but pc normaly functions

Jan 12, 2020
hope its not too silly of an issue but my mobo lights turns off (cmos and temp) a few seconds after start up. but everything is working perfectly normal as it should with no issues whatsoever. what could be causing it? is the mobo due for retirement?

i7 2600k (overclocked to 4.8)
mobo: Z68 extreme7 gen3
16gb 1600mhz ram
vega 56
850w psu
4 storage drives
AIO liquid cooling

*a bit old set up

hope someone can shed some light about this.

thank you in advance

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Has it not always done that? From what I understand some motherboards CMOS LED will turn off while running and on while the machine is off.

I might be wrong but I think maybe it's because the board is receiving power from the battery when the computer is off, and it isn't (thus the light is off) when the machine is on. If someone smarter than me could verify this it would be much appreciated, ha ha.

Reactions: Denverlee
Jan 12, 2020
Has it not always done that? From what I understand some motherboards CMOS LED will turn off while running and on while the machine is off.

I might be wrong but I think maybe it's because the board is receiving power from the battery when the computer is off, and it isn't (thus the light is off) when the machine is on. If someone smarter than me could verify this it would be much appreciated, ha ha.

Thank you for the reply. Got the unit 2nd hand. ok, so i might need to get a new battery just to check? the unit runs fine. been looking for answers everywhere but most have an issue like "lights turns off but won't boot" which in my case, lights turns off after boot but functions normally.

Reactions: Mr3dPHD

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Yeah, I think that's a good idea. You could swap the battery out and reset your CMOS and see if anything changes. If it's still behaving that way, I just wouldn't worry about it. I get the feeling that it may just be designed that way. I had trouble finding your issue on Google as well, but I did find one thread on another forum that was exactly the same, and the resolution on that one was that it was supposed to function that way (i.e. PC off LED on; PC on LED off).

Let us know if that makes any difference.

Reactions: Denverlee
Jan 12, 2020
Yeah, I think that's a good idea. You could swap the battery out and reset your CMOS and see if anything changes. If it's still behaving that way, I just wouldn't worry about it. I get the feeling that it may just be designed that way. I had trouble finding your issue on Google as well, but I did find one thread on another forum that was exactly the same, and the resolution on that one was that it was supposed to function that way (i.e. PC off LED on; PC on LED off).

Hi, i tried 3 batteries but to no avail. it might just be a function of the MB since nothing is really wrong with it when running. by the way, LED only turns on at boot up then gone thereon.

thank you again

Jan 12, 2020

Hi, did every possible adjustments that i could think of but to no avail. i'll just have to stick to the conclusion that its a mobo function. anyway it's functioning normally.

thank you again