Question Motherboard light is on but computer will not boot up

nygiants.nygiants

Reputable
Jan 5, 2018
I recently ran into a problem where my something short circuited and caused various things to turn off that were connected to a power strip like my computer, it was fine after that up until the gpu fans started making weird noises and would barely turn, i then turned off the computer for it to not turn on again. I assumed something was fried in the mother board and replaced it with a new one, but now even with the motherboard plugged in the computer will not start up but yet the motherboard led is on so I know it isnt a powersupply issue.

A little backround information, for a few weeks now my computer has been slow to boot up, I would usually have to hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds for it to turn, at one point it would not turn at all until I tried again the next day. The chords connected to the power button are properly put in and snug as well as everything else, could this be a cpu issue?

SPECS:
PSU: EVGA 500 W1 80+, 500W
CPU:Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz , 3 years old
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SSC GAMING ACX 2.0
Motherboard:MSI Z170A SLI Plus LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX
Memory:Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (1 x 8G) DDR4 2133 Desktop Memory DIMM (288-Pin)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
The presence of a motherboard LED does not exclude a power supply problem. Power supplies provide different voltages to computer components and the failure of any one voltage will prevent booting.

Which motherboard LED is lit?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Power strips can be problematic just on their own. And those problems can be made all the worse by any electrical problems any where along the affected wiring paths.

The prior problems you mentioned can be indications of PSU related problems.

nygiants.nygiants

Reputable
Jan 5, 2018
The presence of a motherboard LED does not exclude a power supply problem. Power supplies provide different voltages to computer components and the failure of any one voltage will prevent booting.

Which motherboard LED is lit?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Power strips can be problematic just on their own. And those problems can be made all the worse by any electrical problems any where along the affected wiring paths.

The prior problems you mentioned can be indications of PSU related problems.

It is the LED for the ethernet cable