[SOLVED] Motherboard light turns on but the power switch doesn’t turn on my P.C

Jan 4, 2021
my P.C would initially turn on, motherboard, fans, ram, and gpu... but the error code yellow light indicating “dram” wouldn’t allow my motherboard to boot.
I had previously solved this issue by properly connecting my 8-pin cpu and just wiggling it until it worked.
Eventually I just decided to get a new motherboard so I wouldn’t have to constantly deal with this issue any longer
(this was like 6 months ago)

Now... I decided to upgrade my cpu and cpu cooler from a 3900x to a 5950x and a z63 to a z73 and when I went to boot, it had the same issue. I initially began trouble-shooting it by putting my old cpu into my motherboard since it had previously worked.
But then... when I went to power on my system my motherboard light would turn on but nothing else would, when I tried to turn on the power switch.
I initially thought my cpu was the problem since I noticed a little too much thermalpaste around the edges including some on the pins.
I replaced it back with the 5950x and it had the same issue. It initially would turn everything on...but give me a “yellow light” error code.
Now it doesn’t even turn on besides the motherboard light being on.
-ive tried reenforcing the power cables, but nothing
-I’ve tried the screwdriver trick try to boot it on, but nothing
-I’ve tried powering on without the cpu installed, but that doesn’t even turn the motherboard light on. Everything completely stays off
It all previously turned on until I decided to clean some of the thermalpaste residue left on the am4 socket where the cpu goes

motherboard: strix x570-e gaming

I’m starting to believe that I may somehow fried the motherboard...?

Solution
Have you installed the bios update? The new Ryzen CPU only supported from bios version 26xx and newer (as far as i have it right in my mind). You can flash the bios without a cpu installed. Worls smooth. Have done it a few days ago for my 5900x

yeah, i fixed it.
The yellow light was related to my bios not being updated so my 5950x wouldn’t allow me to boot.

the P.C didn’t turn on when I installed the 3900x or my 5950x because my motherboard was short-circuited so I had to remove it from my case, removed a screw that was somehow stuck in the motherboards heat sink , used the screwdriver trick and...ta-daa.
Installed it back in my case and good as new

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

A PC is comprised of multiple parts, not just the motherboard. Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

You can't power up the system without a CPU installed. Residue where the PU socket is? Mind sharing a picture of the socket, where the past went? You might need another board if you got thermal paste into the socket.

Jan 4, 2021
CPU: Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard: asus rog strix x570-e
Ram: teamgroup t-force nighthawk RGB 4000mhz
SSD: 2-TB Samsung evo plus NvMe
GPU: evga ultra XC GeForce rtx 2080 super
PSU: Corsair Rm850x

Jan 16, 2021
Have you installed the bios update? The new Ryzen CPU only supported from bios version 26xx and newer (as far as i have it right in my mind). You can flash the bios without a cpu installed. Worls smooth. Have done it a few days ago for my 5900x

Jan 4, 2021

yeah, i fixed it.
The yellow light was related to my bios not being updated so my 5950x wouldn’t allow me to boot.

the P.C didn’t turn on when I installed the 3900x or my 5950x because my motherboard was short-circuited so I had to remove it from my case, removed a screw that was somehow stuck in the motherboards heat sink , used the screwdriver trick and...ta-daa.
Installed it back in my case and good as new

Solution