Question Motherboard makes power cut sound whe unpluging power cable from outlet

Jan 24, 2020
my motherboard is an asus prime b450m-k, so i turn the pc off properly nothing really there the fans are down everything is turned off, then there are these cool lightings on the board that light yellow they stay lightened until i unplug the power cable from the outlet a few seconds later the lightings completely turn off and make a weird sound its like a sound that u hear when u remove the psu cable without turning off the pc it just clicks, and it got me confused

Jan 24, 2020
Could be a sign of the PSU dying. Did it always do that or recently started?
Could be a sign of the PSU dying. Did it always do that or recently started?
i had it on my other build and it was fine, now i have on my 1 week old build everything seems to work fine its only that part at night when i turn off the pc and unplug the power cable from te outlet i hear a one tick, my psu is zalman zm700-tx

Unless you physically try to see what is making the sound it's hard to tell. Does it make the same sound if you unplug the PSU instead of unplugging it from the wall? You gonna have to use your ears close to your PC to find out what is making that noise.

How old is that PSU and what is it? Brand and model.

Jan 24, 2020
Unless you physically try to see what is making the sound it's hard to tell. Does it make the same sound if you unplug the PSU instead of unplugging it from the wall? You gonna have to use your ears close to your PC to find out what is making that noise.

its zalman zm700-tx i will turn it off now and see if i can narrow it down

Jan 24, 2020

oh wow this is weird af, i just powered the pc off removed the power cable from the psu instead of the wall outlet and it shut down without making any ticking sound at all, i plugged it back and unplugged it from the wall no sound at all, what i think is that it only does it after a very long session like 15-16hours prolly

oh wow this is weird af, i just powered the pc off removed the power cable from the psu instead of the wall outlet and it shut down without making any ticking sound at all, i plugged it back and unplugged it from the wall no sound at all, what i think is that it only does it after a very long session like 15-16hours prolly
It's not weird...when you turn power off from motherboard (OS) it may not completely turn power off power to the board. There often remains a 'standby' voltage for keeping memory contents and/or other things alive for quick turn-on. It's also what enables you to charge devices from USB when the system is 'off'.

So turning the PSU switch off is the best way to be sure all power is off. There are also other effects like, when the PSU is still getting power the input transformer windings are 'charged', so when you unplug it that can discharge and cause a noise, usually at the plug though. And same with capacitors in the PSU or on the motherboard; capacitors in particular can discharge with time.

Jan 24, 2020
It's not weird...when you turn power off from motherboard (OS) it may not completely turn power off power to the board. There often remains a 'standby' voltage for keeping memory contents and/or other things alive for quick turn-on. It's also what enables you to charge devices from USB when the system is 'off'.

So turning the PSU switch off is the best way to be sure all power is off. There are also other effects like, when the PSU is still getting power the input transformer windings are 'charged', so when you unplug it that can discharge and cause a noise, usually at the plug though. And same with capacitors in the PSU or on the motherboard; capacitors in particular can discharge with time.
so what are you telling to do exactly, just leave it alone cuz that is normal ?

TRENDING THREADS