Question Motherboard max cpu cores

AVieira

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Hello,

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but do motherboards have a maximum CPU core support?
I'm still deciding between this two motherboards and I was more inclined to the strix untill I saw the "supports up to 8 cores". The ch7 doesnt even have info on core support.

I wish to keep the mobo for the next gen ryzen cpus, that can go up to 16 cores apparently.
The socket is still supported but what about the cores?

How does this work exactly?

Hello,

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but do motherboards have a maximum CPU core support?
I'm still deciding between this two motherboards and I was more inclined to the strix untill I saw the "supports up to 8 cores". The ch7 doesnt even have info on core support.

I wish to keep the mobo for the next gen ryzen cpus, that can go up to 16 cores apparently.
The socket is still supported but what about the cores?

How does this work exactly?
Exactly how does it work?

Nobody knows. All we KNOW is Ryzen 3 is coming out, with nothing about how many cores it will feature in any of it's variants.

We also think we know there is going to be a new chipset: the X570. Why is that? for PCIe gen 4 support almost certainly. But then some SMART people claim there is no practical reason for such a high core count (16) on boards limited to only 2 channel memory and maybe this new chipset is will be needed for a new socket configuration to enable 4 channel memory? Maybe an AM4+? AMD is famous for such iterations.

Who knows. Let's just wait to worry about it and watch the speculators speculate in the mean time. It's kinda fun.

Last edited: