Question Motherboard melted my power supply cable, is there a solution?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arickado

Commendable
Aug 25, 2019
Hi, I'm new here, so my problem is that the cable that goes from my power supply directly to my motherboard has melted and a piece of it is now stuck.
Basically what I want help with is how to remove/clean the socket and what the cause for it to happen may be and how to prevent from happening.
PS: the processor cooler stays close to the socket and I was thinking that this may be the cause, need clarification.

Arickado

Commendable
Aug 25, 2019
The tower cooler I bought to avoid overheating, if I use the one from the fabricant it would be less lethal? Also would the ASRock 760 gm hdv be better or worse? And how do I check these vrm? If I put a good quality on the burned motherboard it won't resolve either correct? So buying a new motherboard and getting a "new" PSU (just for a few weeks) is my best solution at the moment correct?

USAFRet

Titan
Actually it's most because it's on a warranty and I can only afford the motherboard or the pay I assume focusing more on the motherboard first is best
"I assume..."

Everyone else in this conversation has stated, without reservation, that the PSU needs to be changed.
While you are free to ignore that advice, don't be surprised when you see exactly the same thing as you're seeing now.

The motherboard needs to be changed as well.

Having a limited budget does not change those facts.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Arickado

Commendable
Aug 25, 2019
For me, if a board has NO VRM heat syncs, I would never buy it. You are going to run into issues with the 760 GM HDV. It has a weak VRM with no heatsync

msi-extended_heaysink-1-740x487.png

Pic of a VRM heatsync

Whether you have the stock cooler or the tower cooler I would avoid any board without a heatsync like the above.
You should also look for a motherboard with a decent VRM with many phases that are rated for a high TDP.
Thanks a lot, this now makes much more sense

Arickado

Commendable
Aug 25, 2019
"I assume..."

Everyone else in this conversation has stated, without reservation, that the PSU needs to be changed.
While you are free to ignore that advice, don't be surprised when you see exactly the same thing as you're seeing now.

The motherboard needs to be changed as well.

Having a limited budget does not change those facts.
I'm not discarding what everyone said, actually I appreciate all the help and fast responses. What I said was in account to not stay without the CPU for too long, yes I will change the psu, if I could I would buy the motherboard and psu together. This is a custom build and took me a long time to be able to buy the components.

I'm not discarding what everyone said, actually I appreciate all the help and fast responses. What I said was in account to not stay without the CPU for too long, yes I will change the psu, if I could I would buy the motherboard and psu together. This is a custom build and took me a long time to be able to buy the components.
And that's assuming nothing else was damaged.
Your old PSU may have damaged your GPU as well. If it didn't, a new identical one may later on.

You can certainly get another identical PSU and a decent motherboard, however, I'm not going to say you won't have more failures later on.

Arickado

Commendable
Aug 25, 2019
And that's assuming nothing else was damaged.
Your old PSU may have damaged your GPU as well. If it didn't, a new identical one may later on.

You can certainly get another identical PSU and a decent motherboard, however, I'm not going to say you won't have more failures later on.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Everyone helped a lot thanks a bunch. Regarding the motherboard, since the assrock 970 doesn't have the adequate vrm is there one?

The one I linked is a better bet, but still not a great idea.

Can your case accept full ATX motherboards?

Heres an ATX motherboard with 4gb ram and an Athlon installed for $30.
It has an unimpressive VRM and heat sync, but it will be an upgrade for sure.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-9...sh=item2ad242ee14:g:0H4AAOSw6HtdTyW2&LH_BIN=1
Heres something better:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Mothe...sh=item48d0367823:g:2LgAAOSwqyJdUuSg&LH_BIN=1
Really what you want is closer to this, but i understand the cost is really stupid.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Box-ASU...sh=item4b69813b48:g:UmgAAOSw7sBdYGSE&LH_BIN=1

Arickado

Commendable
Aug 25, 2019
The one I linked is a better bet, but still not a great idea.

Can your case accept full ATX motherboards?

Heres an ATX motherboard with 4gb ram and an Athlon installed for $30.
It has an unimpressive VRM and heat sync, but it will be an upgrade for sure.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-970A-D3P-MOTHERBOARD-WITH-ATHLON-II-CPU-4GB-RAM-BOX-BACKPLATE/183916228116?hash=item2ad242ee14:g:0H4AAOSw6HtdTyW2&LH_BIN=1
Heres something better:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Motherboard-M5A97-Socket-AM3-AMD-970-Chipset-SATA-6Gb-s-USB-3-0/312730875939?epid=127393497&hash=item48d0367823:g:2LgAAOSwqyJdUuSg&LH_BIN=1
Really what you want is closer to this, but i understand the cost is really stupid.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Box-ASUS-M5A99FX-PRO-R2-0-AM3-AMD-990FX-SB950-SATA-6Gb-s-USB-3-0-ATX/323892624200?epid=1660205824&hash=item4b69813b48:g:UmgAAOSw7sBdYGSE&LH_BIN=1
Thanks I'll search for them. My case is a Corsair Spec-01 mid tower gaming case.

Sep 7, 2019
So, just to refresh and cease some doubts, my bf(arickado) and I will buy the m5a99fx pro 2.0, after searching for a long time. Me and him build this custom cpu, at the time when we searched for a motherboard the vendors have said the m5a78l-m usb3 was the best for my build (the infamously hot fx8350) and we bought this motherboard. We had a corsair cx 500w to Power and, after some time the same problem with this kcas 400w but didn't melt the plastic, just broke..... Anyway, my doubt is, if we fix the broken plastic piece of the corsair (and of course test if it's working without mistake), with the new motherboard (the m5a99fx 2.0 pro) and my Nvidia gtx 750 (if still work), I will have the same melting problem? And, with the original cooler of the fx8350 that I still have it, will do the work?

TRENDING THREADS