Motherboard mounted bad

cratftierspace

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
I messed up a little when mounting the motherboard on the standoffs. It works but I used different screws like the one you would use to hold the gpu in place for the mobo should I remove them and add the right one. When you try to remove it the standoffs unscrew too. If I am to use a nut or plier to hold the standoffs from the back and unscrew it from the front then u can remove it but should I.

Solution
If you used the wrong screws to insert through the holes in the motherboard to the brass standoffs, and you found it hard to tighten them, you may of damaged the threads on the inside of the standoffs them self essentially striping all of the threads or cross threading them.

Especially if you say when trying to unscrew them the standoffs unscrew from the cases motherboard mounting plate.
If you remove the current set of screws you will likely not be able to screw the right typed threaded screws you should of fitted. and will likely have to buy a whole new set of brass standoffs again.

If the board is tight and secure then I would leave them as they are, but if it worries you, standoffs can be bought from most local computer shops...
If you used the wrong screws to insert through the holes in the motherboard to the brass standoffs, and you found it hard to tighten them, you may of damaged the threads on the inside of the standoffs them self essentially striping all of the threads or cross threading them.

Especially if you say when trying to unscrew them the standoffs unscrew from the cases motherboard mounting plate.
If you remove the current set of screws you will likely not be able to screw the right typed threaded screws you should of fitted. and will likely have to buy a whole new set of brass standoffs again.

If the board is tight and secure then I would leave them as they are, but if it worries you, standoffs can be bought from most local computer shops that do system builds of there own.
It should cost very little to acquire some new ones.

Solution

cratftierspace

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014

I didn't tighten the screws that hard, if I felt some resistance I stopped to see how far it went but it is on pretty secure so do you think I would really need to. Not all of them have wrong screws and like I said I didn't tighten them that much so the threads shouldn't be too damaged.