Motherboard (MSI - A320M PRO-VD PLUS) not posting

May 8, 2018
Hello Tom's Hardware community! I've had problems with a motherboard by MSI in a new rig I'm putting together.
But to preface: I've already asked for a replacement board, I just want to clarify my suspicions.

So first the rig. (it's a pcpartpicker link if anyone wants to know details) It reuses part from my previous rig which, while not exactly high quality (the case in particular), it was still reliable. The only thing straight up removed is the CPU cooler, I originally had a an multi-socket cooler which did not support AM4. But regardless.

Now, the problem can be simplified to what I believe is a bad DIMM slot, or something similar. Why I believe this is because the rig didn't post what so ever. Not even an error message. It just lit up the CPU light briefly, then held on the DRAM LED for a second, then stopped.

I guess I should explain the LED's real quick. So MSI has this nifty little set of LEDs to indicate what part of the boot it's on (presumably for debugging purposes), from top to bottom it's as follows:
CPU
DRAM
VGA
BOOT
Presumably the LEDs would start at the top and go down to the boot where the computer would actually post as normal.

Back to the problem: It would get to DRAM, hold and the LEDs would just turn off. Except the little aesthetic strips they have on the lower half of the board.

What I've tried: I've attempted to strip it down to just the board, CPU, and GPU. I've attempted to swap my dual channel ram around, I've tried only one stick on the primary slot (for both sticks), and finally tried removing the battery for a few minutes to clear the bios. All of which resulted in the same thing (stated above).

Any and all attempts to research similar problems lead me back to the idea that the motherboard is bad.

If anyone can say otherwise or affirm that would be fantastic, thanks!

Do you pay attention to the potential issues "incompatibilities" from the pcpartpicker? the MB needs the newer BIOS for the ryzen 5 2600.
Because the 2600 is 2nd gen cpu, and your MB is A320M, you should ask AMD send the cpu to you, after update the BIOS, you should be fine. Here is info AMD 'boot kits' loan chips to help update motherboards for 2nd-gen Ryzen CPUs https://www.pcworld.com/article/3256290/computers/confirmed-amd-will-loan-chips-to-help-with-motherboard-updates-for-ryzen-apus.html

May 8, 2018

Wow. That's egg in my face. I tried looking up the response from PC-Partpicker specifically and found nothing. I remember seeing that AMD intended on this socket lasting for most of Ryzens lifespan.
Guess this completely went over my head, i'll look into this and report back. Thanks!