[SOLVED] Motherboard needs jumpstart after power outage

Mar 4, 2021
Hi, so everytime there's a power outage at my house while the pc is on, my pc would not turn on afterwards. Its literally dead, no fan spinning no leds on. This happened like 4/5 times and everytime it happened, i gotta take it to a technician to get it jumpstarted. Is there anyway i could jumpstart it by myself? or what should i do to avoid it happening again? tried the screwdriver to pins trick, didnt work. I dont think it has anything to do with my power supply cause ive gotten it checked. im also using a surge protector.

Motherboard: asrock b365 pro 4
psu; corsair cx550

Solution
do u by any chance know abt giving 12 voltage to the pc? cause i remembered thats what they said
-sorry, I don't understand the question.
Anyway, UPS doesn't deliver 12 at it's output. It delivers 220V or 110V (depends on model you buy and where you live). That is, PSU act as a wall socket: you plug PSU to wall and your PC+monitor into UPS. And as soon there's voltage fluctuation that exceeds certain limit or there's power cut, UPS will switch very quick (in about 10msec) to battery which is inside UPS. Battery is 12V DC of course, but electronics inside UPS converts that into 110V AC (or 220V).

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the Corsair unit? By jumpstart, what are you referring to? You can't simply connect a car battery with jumper cables to the PSU. If you did, there'd be more carnage.

How did you get the PSU checked? Using the paperclip method?

Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

First: get yourself some UPS.

You say, you got your power supply checked... to confirm it's working? Of course it is. The thing is, CX series is very basic PSU, where you just can't know how it will behave in unexpected situations -that's why more expensive PSU's exist.
Same question as Lutfij (above): what exactly is done at "jumpstart"?

Mar 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the Corsair unit? By jumpstart, what are you referring to? You can't simply connect a car battery with jumper cables to the PSU. If you did, there'd be more carnage.

How did you get the PSU checked? Using the paperclip method?

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Hi,
CPU: i5-9400f
Motherboard: asrock b365 pro 4
Ram: 2x8gb
SSD/HDD: seagate sshd 1tb + seagate hdd 1tb
GPU: sapphire rx 570 8gb
PSU: corsair cx 550
Chassis: corsair carbide 275r

ive taken it to corsair when it first happened and they changed the unit and my pc was still dead. the new unit is barely 1 year old, the old one was a lil over 1 year.

so i took conclusion it was smth else. and the technician said it was motherboard's issue which makes sense actually. they used a tool that looks like a voltmeter (?) idk what that is and my pc got back on. did that like 3 times, worked every time. should i restart the cmos?

Mar 4, 2021
First: get yourself some UPS.

You say, you got your power supply checked... to confirm it's working? Of course it is. The thing is, CX series is very basic PSU, where you just can't know how it will behave in unexpected situations -that's why more expensive PSU's exist.
Same question as Lutfij (above): what exactly is done at "jumpstart"?

hi, are u saying that basic psu's will more likely do that? they used a tool that looks like a voltmeter (?) idk what that is. basically they said that my motherboard's power is drained and it need to be jumpstarted like what u do to a car. do you have anything to suggest regarding the problem?

Every PSU will work in normal condition, but when unexpected things happen (power cut, voltage fluctuations/spikes from wall socket, spikes in motherboard/CPU/GPU power draw,...), then one can distinguish between good and bad PSU.
About power cut.. many times we can observe that there isn't a single power cut. It can happen, that just before actual power cut, there's very short power cut just before (maybe for few milliseconds). How will PSU handle that (by delivering power to motherboard), is entirely up to PSU quality. Checking PSU with voltmeter (or paperclip method) only tells if PSU is working or not.
I can't say why yor PC doesn't start after power cut (nobody can't for sure). I can only say what I would do if being in your situation: buy better PSU and get UPS.

Reactions: rarity133
Mar 4, 2021
Every PSU will work in normal condition, but when unexpected things happen (power cut, voltage fluctuations/spikes from wall socket, spikes in motherboard/CPU/GPU power draw,...), then one can distinguish between good and bad PSU.
About power cut.. many times we can observe that there isn't a single power cut. It can happen, that just before actual power cut, there's very short power cut just before (maybe for few milliseconds). How will PSU handle that (by delivering power to motherboard), is entirely up to PSU quality. Checking PSU with voltmeter (or paperclip method) only tells if PSU is working or not.
I can't say why yor PC doesn't start after power cut (nobody can't for sure). I can only say what I would do if being in your situation: buy better PSU and get UPS.

alright i'll make sure to buy a ups next. do u by any chance know abt giving 12 voltage to the pc? cause i remembered thats what they said

do u by any chance know abt giving 12 voltage to the pc? cause i remembered thats what they said
-sorry, I don't understand the question.
Anyway, UPS doesn't deliver 12 at it's output. It delivers 220V or 110V (depends on model you buy and where you live). That is, PSU act as a wall socket: you plug PSU to wall and your PC+monitor into UPS. And as soon there's voltage fluctuation that exceeds certain limit or there's power cut, UPS will switch very quick (in about 10msec) to battery which is inside UPS. Battery is 12V DC of course, but electronics inside UPS converts that into 110V AC (or 220V).

Solution

Latest posts