Question Motherboard new bios problems.

Hello guys. Yesterday i updated my motherboard bios to F40 the latest one that fully support ryzen 3rd gen cpu. My motherboard is Gigabyte AX370 gaming k5. After i boot my pc i see the mobo logo and then the screen go black and after many restarts i ended up that is a ram problem. If i open xmp my ram will run at 3200mhz but pc wont give signal. If i restore the bios settings and ram go to 2133 the pc boot normally. Did anyone experienced the same problem with gigabytes F40 bios and how i can roll back to an older bios like F35 that i had before.

rgd1101

Don't
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K5-rev-1x#support-dl-bios
did you do what the note said
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40.
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.
  3. Due to BIOS ROM size limited, no Bristol Ridge APU support.

Reactions: DMAN999
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K5-rev-1x#support-dl-bios
did you do what the note said
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40.
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.
  3. Due to BIOS ROM size limited, no Bristol Ridge APU support.
Yea i always follow the instructions. I send a ticket to gigabyte and their reply was that this is the first time they hear this problem. Is anyway i can go to an older bios?

Ok i solved the problem. After many restarts my motherbord gave me an option to delete this bios and i went to F31 , the one i had before but still the same problem. I recently updated and windows 10 to 1903 version and this enabled me the feature fast startup. I noticed that my pc was shutting off way too fast and not closing all the running proggrams as always. I disabled this feature and now i boot normally.

Ok i solved the problem. After many restarts my motherbord gave me an option to delete this bios and i went to F31 , the one i had before but still the same problem. I recently updated and windows 10 to 1903 version and this enabled me the feature fast startup. I noticed that my pc was shutting off way too fast and not closing all the running proggrams as always. I disabled this feature and now i boot normally.

Got to love Gigabytes dual bios. Another motherboard saved . I updated to F40 following the directions no issue on my GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Only odd thing Im finding is that I can not enable gear down mode for my memory if I do the PC wont boot.

Reactions: DMAN999
Jul 11, 2019
Just made an account so I could join in with this discussion.

I have the gaming 5, I updated to the f40 bios a couple of weeks ago. But I never bothered trying to overclock my 1700 till today...

So my issue is with this bios, I set the vcore in the bios but I don't believe its actually working. When I reboot with a multiplier higher than 32 it will go straight back into the bios with a faild to boot error, I tested 32 multiplier with a 1.4v kn the cpu, when I ran cinebench I noticed that the vcore wasn't actually going above 1.1v. This would explain why when I tried my normal 3.8 and anything between 3.3 and 3.8 would just load back to bios with a OC error.

Has anyone had any issues with this bios and overclocking? I'm about to switch to the second bios and flash it to f31 and redo my oc. Keep other bios for if and when I buy an r5 3600.

Ps. I have had my fair share of bios issues with this mobo. First one I had needed to be sent back via rma due to bricking both bios in 2 days.. But I learnt from that and then when this mobo bricked exactly the same way I knew to flash that bios asap from the backup, and I saved myself a whole load of rma pain.

Just made an account so I could join in with this discussion.

I have the gaming 5, I updated to the f40 bios a couple of weeks ago. But I never bothered trying to overclock my 1700 till today...

So my issue is with this bios, I set the vcore in the bios but I don't believe its actually working. When I reboot with a multiplier higher than 32 it will go straight back into the bios with a faild to boot error, I tested 32 multiplier with a 1.4v kn the cpu, when I ran cinebench I noticed that the vcore wasn't actually going above 1.1v. This would explain why when I tried my normal 3.8 and anything between 3.3 and 3.8 would just load back to bios with a OC error.

Has anyone had any issues with this bios and overclocking? I'm about to switch to the second bios and flash it to f31 and redo my oc. Keep other bios for if and when I buy an r5 3600.

Ps. I have had my fair share of bios issues with this mobo. First one I had needed to be sent back via rma due to bricking both bios in 2 days.. But I learnt from that and then when this mobo bricked exactly the same way I knew to flash that bios asap from the backup, and I saved myself a whole load of rma pain.
Try to roll back to the bios before f40 all gigabyte mobos have dual bios. I made the same mistake its not recommended to updated bios for 3rd gen ryzen unless you have a 3rd gen ryzen and not with a first gen.

Reactions: Bassjunkiev2

unsivilaudio

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Can confirm the F40 bios is hot garbage for Ryzen 1xxx series. Cpu bottlenecking hard after upgrade, most evident in gaming. Also had to reduce my overclock and add more voltage. My 3700x will be here in a few days, will update if problem doesn't resolve on new architecture.

Jul 11, 2019
Can confirm the F40 bios is hot garbage for Ryzen 1xxx series. Cpu bottlenecking hard after upgrade, most evident in gaming. Also had to reduce my overclock and add more voltage. My 3700x will be here in a few days, will update if problem doesn't resolve on new architecture.

Oh yes please do let us know your experience with this cpu and the gaming 5 mobo. I plan on going from my 1700 to a 3600, I only game so I doubt I will notice a core drop.

Jul 11, 2019
I set my mobo to boot off the second bios and I flashed it to f31. I've set my oc back and all is fine. Even have my ram set to 3400 16,16,16,33 atm from 3200 16,18,18,36. Not a massive oc but defo adds to the benchmark scores. Some reason I couldn't change it from cas 16 to 15. Just wouldn't change even tho it was set in the bios. Tho I'm happy with it's small oc. Will leave my settings for now till I buy a 3600.

unsivilaudio

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

The entire problem had something to do with windows. As I was still running an old build (1703) I updated to the latest release, all performance back to normal. Nothing else changed as far as I can tell (video driver still the same).

1 day after that, I installed my 3700x and updated my bios another revision F41a, everything working well. Very impressed. Also discovered pci-e gen4 option in the bios. Will investigate further.

Jul 11, 2019
The entire problem had something to do with windows. As I was still running an old build (1703) I updated to the latest release, all performance back to normal. Nothing else changed as far as I can tell (video driver still the same).

1 day after that, I installed my 3700x and updated my bios another revision F41a, everything working well. Very impressed. Also discovered pci-e gen4 option in the bios. Will investigate further.

I sold my 1700 and am going to order a 3600. I wonder if I have the pcie 4 option. Gigashite ax370 gaming 5. I will reply to this when I do. I updated the bios to f41a before I removed the cpu.