Question Motherboard No Longer Sees My 2nd Graphics Card

defazken

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hi, and thanks in advance for any help.

I'm currently running Windows 10 (64) in a custom box. An Asus Maximus IX Formula. My NVME m.2, Samsung 960 PRO has been running hot, (45C @ idle). I'm also running 2 x Nvidia GTX 1080 TIs in an SLI configuration. I decided to add another NVME m.2 SSD in the PCIE x4_3 slot as it would have better ventilation. So I picked up a Aquacomputer KryoM.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter for M.2 and a Samsung 970 EVO 2 TB SSD.

Problem occurred when I booted up after installing the new SSD's PCIE x4_3 card and powered up. Immediately, I lost sound and Windows 10 no longer recognized my SLI configuration and gave the #43 error and generic message the device (not devices) had a problem. Asus was of no help telling me my 2nd graphics card should be in the PCIE x4_3 slot, to which I politely said "thank you." and ended the call.

So, here is where I am now. I expected, but was unable to convince the Asus Support Associate that I felt there might be an issue with the channel bandwidth sharing. So I unistalled the new PCIEx4_3 card as well as the Nvidia drivers, reinstalled the Nvidia drivers in Safe Mode. This was partially successful as it solved the sound issue as well as Window's device manager can now see my PRIMARY GTX 1080 Ti. It does not see the 2nd card. Also, the 2nd card is not visible in the bios, which is strange as it was visible and work just before the install. Also, in the Advanced setting of the bios I attempt to set the channels manually to 8X, 8X, but there was no option, assuming because the bios isn't seeing the 2nd card.

I would try and re-seat the 2nd GTX 1080 Ti, but the build is a custom water cooled machine of my own doing, with HARD plumbing. I would have to drain the entire system, unhook the plumbing and try and re-seat, not knowing if it was successful before I went through the hours of reconnecting, etc., etc.

I'm hoping someone has some less invasive suggestion i can try before I tear this thing apart.

Once again, thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails