Question Motherboard no signs of life

May 2, 2020
Hi all, so my CPU fan was giving me problems and I decided to change it to the cooler master hyper 212 turbo, to accommodate the increased heatsink also changed the case to NZXT 510i.

Lo and behold after putting in all the bells and whistles it doesn't turn on. Tried removing the motherboard from the case and put it on a cardboard box.

Plugged in both power cables and left in my ram but all I get is the red standby power light on, no LED etc.

I'm wondering if it's the CPU or motherboard issue as I've checked and rechecked but the doesn't seem to be any bent pins

At my wits end here. I'm not a professional pc builder and my previous pc was my first successful build..

Setup
Asus Z170i pro gaming motherboard
Intel i7 - 6700k cpu
1080 gpu
2 x 8gb corsair vengeance 2666hz ram
Cooler master 750 psu

Please help

Hi all, so my CPU fan was giving me problems and I decided to change it to the cooler master hyper 212 turbo, to accommodate the increased heatsink also changed the case to NZXT 510i.

Lo and behold after putting in all the bells and whistles it doesn't turn on. Tried removing the motherboard from the case and put it on a cardboard box.

Plugged in both power cables and left in my ram but all I get is the red standby power light on, no LED etc.

I'm wondering if it's the CPU or motherboard issue as I've checked and rechecked but the doesn't seem to be any bent pins

At my wits end here. I'm not a professional pc builder and my previous pc was my first successful build..

Setup
Asus Z170i pro gaming motherboard
Intel i7 - 6700k cpu
1080 gpu
2 x 8gb corsair vengeance 2666hz ram
Cooler master 750 psu

Please help
Possibly wrong cooler installation, might have a short somewhere, check backplate if it's insulated from MB. Did you try with old cooler ?

May 2, 2020
Possibly wrong cooler installation, might have a short somewhere, check backplate if it's insulated from MB. Did you try with old cooler ?
Thanks for the response. Unfort my old cooler got thrown out "accidentally" so I can't even verify that. Thing is even without the cpu cooler I would expect the boards Led lights to light up but the only light on is the standby light

Thanks for the response. Unfort my old cooler got thrown out "accidentally" so I can't even verify that. Thing is even without the cpu cooler I would expect the boards Led lights to light up but the only light on is the standby light
Long distance troubleshooting is difficult in cases like this. I would start from basics. MB outside the case, take off backplate and connect only one RAM and PSU. plug in cooler fan(s) to CPU_Fan and hold cooler with your hand pressed on CPU.

May 2, 2020
Long distance troubleshooting is difficult in cases like this. I would start from basics. MB outside the case, take off backplate and connect only one RAM and PSU. plug in cooler fan(s) to CPU_Fan and hold cooler with your hand pressed on CPU.
Understood and appreciate your insights. Just tried what you suggested and nada. Issue is going back to basics, the bread boarding start with screwdriver has no effect and board still stuck with a red light and no other led

May 2, 2020
Understood and appreciate your insights. Just tried what you suggested and nada. Issue is going back to basics, the bread boarding start with screwdriver has no effect and board still stuck with a red light and no other led
Haha was afraid ud suggest that. Unfortunately where I am right now is in kickdown so looks like gonna take a while to solve this.