[SOLVED] Motherboard not detecing any SATA inputs out of nowhere

Dec 29, 2020
So I've already sort of made a post about this here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-pc-wont-boot-os-after-installing-a-second-hdd.3704942/

But I wanted to make a new one to clarify. I had to rebuild my PC in January, and this included getting a new motherboard (so it's only like 3/4 months old). And I've been using one HDD for 6 or 7 years since I got it in a prebuilt PC that I've pretty much entirely built up with nothing but the Hard Drive left as original.

For four months my new PC worked fine, I had no hardware issues at all, but I needed more disk space, caude 1TB doesn't really cut it nowadays. So I ordered this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2RR55Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It came a couple days after, and I slotted it into the tray of my case, plugged the wire in to the motherboard, booted up with BOTH hard drives connected,and loaded up into the motherboard's BIOS, and not my OS.

I looked around, and it told me it couldn't detect anything in the SATA ports. Since the first boot up with both HDD's installed, here is what I've tried:
  • Rebooting with only the original HDD connected
  • Swapping the wires for both HDD's and booting
  • Plugging multiple different wires into the 6 different slots my motherboard has
  • Trying 3 different wires with only the original HDD connected, 2 of which are brand new and have never been used before
  • Resetting the BIOS to factory default and booting with the original HDD connected

None of this has worked, no matter what I've tried, the BIOS says there is nothing connected to any of the SATA ports.

Please, if anyone has any help I'm pretty desperate. I suffer from a few mental issues and having my PC for stuff is a really great stabiliser for me mentally and emotionally, so I'm kinda coming undone here. Thanks in advance for any help and I'm sorry for sort of double posting, I'm just really desperate.

My specs are:
Aorus Z390 Pro Motherboard
Intel i3-8100 4Ghz
NVidia 1050 Ti 4GB Windforce
Corsair LPX Ve geance 16GB RAM (2x 8GB Sticks)
Corsair RM850x 850w Power Supply
(I don't know what the original HDD is exactly since it came in a prebuilt PC, but I'm pretty sure it's Toshiba branded).
Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh RGB Midi-Tower
And the new HDD is the Amazon link earlier in the post

Solution
1ooejaS.jpg

BTW - for sata data cable angled connector goes to HDD and straight connector goes to motherboard (usually).
Not sure, if angled connector can be connected anywhere in your setup. Drive cage might be in the way.
Dec 29, 2020
Modular PSU.
Are you using original cables from this PSU? Or may be you're re-using some cables from your previous PSU?
Using incompatible modular cables can kill/damage devices connected.
Nope, all cables from that. Like I said, it's been working fine for four months. I had no problems until I plugged one of the other new SATA wires I had to connect the new HDD

Butcher2033

Reputable
Nov 6, 2016
Can you place your hand on hard drives while starting your computer? You should feel slight vibrations when drives are trying to speen up,if there is none, you most probably have to troubleshoot for power problems.

If thats the case, try reseeding your modular psu cable

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020
Can you place your hand on hard drives while starting your computer? You should feel slight vibrations when drives are tryng to speen up,if there is none, you most probably have to troubleshoot for power problems.

If thats the case, try reseeding your modular psu cable
I'm not entirely sure I can do that. The Lian Li has a small tray for them in the lower half but I'm not sure the wire'll reach if I try to pull the tray out. I might be able to disconnect the disk, pull it out from the tray and just try connecting it to the motherboard? Sounds kinda dangerous but it might be the only way I could check later.

Butcher2033

Reputable
Nov 6, 2016
I'm not entirely sure I can do that. The Lian Li has a small tray for them in the lower half but I'm not sure the wire'll reach if I try to pull the tray out. I might be able to disconnect the disk, pull it out from the tray and just try connecting it to the motherboard? Sounds kinda dangerous but it might be the only way I could check later.
Can you post a picture of how things are connected right now?
P.S Maybe it is extremly dumb question, but are you sure that both data and power cables are making good connections?

Dec 29, 2020
Can you post a picture of how things are connected right now?
P.S Maybe it is extremly dumb question, but are you sure that both data and power cables are making good connections?
Sure I can try. It's a little messy cause I had to do a lot of rewiring when I was building it, but I haven't touched the power cables since I built the thing All I did was connect the new HDD to the motherboard with a SATA cable.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/feXf0nL
(just incase)

The wiring

Dec 29, 2020
Wires to HDD are on the other side. Also sata cables are not visible in those photos.
Check, if they are properly connected from PSU to HDD and
from motherboard to HDD.
Yeah, it'd be really hard to get a photo of the SATA cables because they're in a somewhat awkward spot. I don't have cables connecting my PSU to my HDD, should I? And they're properly connected from HDD to motherboard, like I've said. I've had to reconnect them multiple times

If you don't have power cable connected to HDD, then it obviously will not work.
You can see - HDD in lower position is not connected to power. And it is not connected to motherboard also.
Can't really see, if HDD in upper position is connected to power either. Your rats nest of cables is blocking the view.

sata-connector.jpg

Dec 29, 2020
If you don't have power cable connected to HDD, then it obviously will not work.
You can see - HDD in lower position is not connected to power.
Can't really see, if HDD in upper position is connected to power either. Your rats nest of cables is blocking the view.
Yeah the cables aren't neat, but I did what I had to with them, so I could get the door to shut. And thank you so much, I was so busy trying to wire the second HDD and then stressing out about it that I didn't realise I'd tugged the power cable out from the original HDD. I've just been so stressed about it.

Is there anything I should know about setting up a second HDD before I turn it on? I have both plugged in currently cause I'd really rather not have to open it back up again