[SOLVED] Motherboard not detecting Gpu

harsh vardhan 04

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
So i few days back i booted up my pc and my screen went dark. I tried to boot it up again but nothing. I was under an impression that my Gpu would have gone out but i test it on another pc and it worked under full load. For some reason my pc boots just fine with its integrated Graphics and even on the device manager their's no sign of my graphics card. Its works fine with onboard graphics, doesn't even crashes. Works like a charm.I dunno what to do? When connected my Gpu to the pcie 16 slot with its power supply, the fans of the Gpu unit goes on and off. It even heats up but my screen just stays black until i boot it up again with the Dvi-i cable connected to the onboard integrated graphics. Could my Pcie x16 slot might be at fault? Below are my specifications
  1. Asus m5a78/lm usb 3. Motherboard
  2. Amd fx 6300 cpu.
  3. Corsair vengeance 8x2 ddr3 Ram. 1600Mhz
  4. Zotac Nvidia gtx 2gb 960 amp edition Gpu.
  5. Corsair Vs 550 psu.
Every thing works fine, the fans,the cpu, even the POST is normal. It beeps once and boots all the way till i shut the pc off. I dunno why My motherboard can't detect my Graphics Card. Please Help!!🙏

So i few days back i booted up my pc and my screen went dark. I tried to boot it up again but nothing. I was under an impression that my Gpu would have gone out but i test it on another pc and it worked under full load. For some reason my pc boots just fine with its integrated Graphics and even on the device manager their's no sign of my graphics card. Its works fine with onboard graphics, doesn't even crashes. Works like a charm.I dunno what to do? When connected my Gpu to the pcie 16 slot with its power supply, the fans of the Gpu unit goes on and off. It even heats up but my screen just stays black until i boot it up again with the Dvi-i cable connected to the onboard integrated graphics. Could my Pcie x16 slot might be at fault? Below are my specifications
  1. Asus m5a78/lm usb 3. Motherboard
  2. Amd fx 6300 cpu.
  3. Corsair vengeance 8x2 ddr3 Ram. 1600Mhz
  4. Zotac Nvidia gtx 2gb 960 amp edition Gpu.
  5. Corsair Vs 550 psu.
Every thing works fine, the fans,the cpu, even the POST is normal. It beeps once and boots all the way till i shut the pc off. I dunno why My motherboard can't detect my Graphics Card. Please Help!!🙏

Your PSU seems to be giving up on your card here as the VS-lineup of psu's is not that good especially if they are even remotely old (1-2y)

harsh vardhan 04

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
Probably the PCI-E slot might be broken, I'm not sure. Since you're saying that your GPU works on another system, if you could get hands on to another GPU, try putting it to your system and see if you get any post?
Well i will test the power outage of psu with a multimeter and then i might be sure whether its the psu or motherboard at fault.
P.S i just learned to use a multimeter, wish me luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravz

harsh vardhan 04

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
Well i think i got the culprit. And its the motherboard. The Psu power outage is normal whether its 3.3,5,12,-5 or -12 volt. So the Psu is working normally. That means the PCIE slot is at fault. Strange!

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Well i think i got the culprit. And its the motherboard. The Psu power outage is normal whether its 3.3,5,12,-5 or -12 volt. So the Psu is working normally. That means the PCIE slot is at fault. Strange!
A last resort you could do is to dust off your whole PC, also the PCI slot , try reseating the GPU and hope for the best!!

TRENDING THREADS