Motherboard not detecting internal sound card

bossescc

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hello,

I recently bought a sound blaster zx card and was attempting to install it in my 'msi xpower z170a titanium edition' motherboard. I have two 1x slots available (the third is covered by the gpu), but neither of them will detect the sound card. The MSI software has a special heatmap in the bios (can't remember exact name) that lets you see what is plugged into the motherboard, but it just says that the pcie slot is 'empty'. I have tried in both available slots. This prevents me from installing the drivers because the installer cannot detect the sound card. My windows is up to date, my onboard audio drivers are up to date (if this even means anything), I have tried disabling my onboard audio as well, and I also went through all motherboard settings to make sure I don't have the slots disabled (there is an option for this, but it is only for the primary non 1x slots and they are all turned on anyway). I am going to have to return the card tomorrow unless I find a solution. Any help is appreciated. The lights turn on the sound card if that gives any clues.

TLDR: Is there any reason that a bios would not detect my internal pcie 1x sound card besides the card itself being broken for the msi xpower z170a titanium motherboard.