Motherboard not detecting SSD or hard drive but it is detecting an optical drive

Toppingpfc15

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
I have had my custom built pc for nearly a year and I have had many issues with it until recently. It was working fine for a few months but now the motherboard has stopped detecting both the hard drive and my solid state drive. First it stopped detecting the solid state drive yesterday and I had assumed that it had died because it’s probably about 5 or 4 years old so I was planning on replacing it but then today I noticed that upon starting up my computer my motherboard stopped detecting my hard drive as well. This is unsual as the hard drive is about two years old. I plugged in my optical drive from my older pc to see if the SATA was the issue but both sata cables and the power cable worked for the optical drive. Does this mean both drives died simultaneously which I would find unlikely or is there something else going on. (P.S. i only have one computer that “works” so testing the drives in an another computer isn’t going to happen) my specs are i7-7700k, asus strix z270e motherboard, Asus strix 1080ti, Corsair 750x psu, Western digital blue 1 tb, crucial mx100 125 gig ssd, I also noticed that ssd smelled a little burnt around the contact area and there appears to be slight darkening but I am unsure if it is scortch marks or just my eye. My power supply is 2 months old so I don’t think that it’s going. It’s also the third power supply I’ve used for this system. Both the motherboard and graphics card have been rmad before. If I have to rma again I’m just going to sell the working components online and buy a laptop because it’s not worth it anymore