[SOLVED] Motherboard not honouring custom EDC / TPC / PPT Values

Jul 6, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to play with EDC / TPC / PPT Values on my motherboard to lower done temperature of my ryzen 5900X, but it seems that whatever I set in the bios is not taken into account.
See picture belows.
I'm not using ryzen master or any other tool that does overclocking except NZXT CAM which to my knowledge should not change any of these.
Any idea ?

Screenshot-1.png

IMG-20210718-193016.jpg

Solution
I have a NZXT H701 ....

Hmmm....that's probably not one of the 'better' ventilated cases for air cooling. But it's also not the worst as the front and top aren't totally closed off since there are some (slender) side vents to allow air in.

Make sure those vents stay clear that means mounting the fans on the inside wall of the case. I've seen similar cases where fans can be mounted on the outside wall fitting in the cavity between the case and the front cover. Doing so completely blocks airflow from the side vents. One thing to do as a test is remove the case side covers and locate a (smallish) personal fan to blow cool air into the case, towards the intake of the CPU cooler. If that markedly improves temps over time that...
All setting those values do is open up limits. You have to run an appropriately heavy processsing load to actually push it to those limits. Even then it may never hit all the limits (and probably won't if you set them high enough) since the CPU's boosting algorithm won't let it if temperature isn't also being kept low enough.

If you want to limit how high temperature goes just set the platform thermal throttle limit to whatever you like.

The IMPORTANT temperature is NOT the 87C max reading on CCD1, but the AVERAGE temp.

What were you doing when you logged those temps? Run a heavy processing load (stress test) and watch AVERAGE. Be sure to reset the timer (the clock in lower right) after starting the stress test. Also compare PPT/TDC/EDC AVERAGE when running the test; also MAX as that's where you'll probably find it never exceeds the limits you set but only if cooling is adequate.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021
Thanks for your answer.

But what I don't understand is that max EDC / TDC is going above what I configured in the BIOS. I understood that this would be hard limit. Like EDC is reaching 188.8A while I configured 120 in BIOS.

I'm trying to decrease temp because during benchmarch or even during game, temperature can stay above 80c, resulting in a decrease of perfs.

But what I don't understand is that max EDC / TDC is going above what I configured in the BIOS. I understood that this would be hard limit. Like EDC is reaching 188.8A while I configured 120 in BIOS.
The max readings are probably instantaneous spikes, meaning they don't last long. The average is probably more relevant too but better yet you can right click on each of the sensors for TDC, EDC and PPT and create a graph on the desktop to see how they track through time running various workloads.

But temps in the 80's are perfectly normal for a 5900X...up to 90C is not unexpected, although lower is always better of course. But anything you do in BIOS to force a lower temp means you're going to lose some performance to do so (some things more than others). If you want to keep temps down without hurting performance then you need better cooling.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021
Thanks, I will check.
FYI I already invested in a dark rock pro 4 which is a decent cooler. I'm pretty surprised that a CPU with just PBO enabled is not able to keep up and maintain decent temperature without reaching a point where it is throttling.

Thanks, I will check.
FYI I already invested in a dark rock pro 4 which is a decent cooler....

Don't forget case ventilation as any air cooler is only effective if not left to spin hot air from itself and the GPU cooler round and round in circles. That means plenty of fans, properly oriented, and a case that has an open front to bring in cool air. It's surprising how many cases opt for pretty, but solid, tempered glass in fronts; it may allow for a dazzling RGB show but chokes the CPU and GPU into early throttling from a lack of cool air.

Also, don't confuse throttling with the CPU pulling back on clocks. It's normal operation for it to dither clocks and pull back further and further on peak boosts as temp's get out of the 60's or 70's. But that temp (in 60's) is nigh on impossible to maintain under heavy loads unless using sub-ambient cooling. The processor is very dynamic with it's clock and voltage changes and works very different from Intel processors you may have had before.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021
I have a NZXT H701 with 3 Front, 2 TOP, and 1 back FAN, so I believe my airflow should be pretty decent. My only concern is that when CPU stays above 80c for a while like after 1 Hour gaming, I start to notice a decrease in FPS.

In any case thanks for your detailed answers. I guess I'll leave PBO off and see if it worth investing into a watercooling block

I have a NZXT H701 ....

Hmmm....that's probably not one of the 'better' ventilated cases for air cooling. But it's also not the worst as the front and top aren't totally closed off since there are some (slender) side vents to allow air in.

Make sure those vents stay clear that means mounting the fans on the inside wall of the case. I've seen similar cases where fans can be mounted on the outside wall fitting in the cavity between the case and the front cover. Doing so completely blocks airflow from the side vents. One thing to do as a test is remove the case side covers and locate a (smallish) personal fan to blow cool air into the case, towards the intake of the CPU cooler. If that markedly improves temps over time that strongly suggests you've a ventilation problem.

Liquidcooling would definitely benefit you (but I'm also a fan of liquid cooling, even with AIO's). I'd put the radiator in the front, pulling cool air across it, with both radiator and fans on the inside of the case. With a big enough radiator (a 360 size would be nice, or 280 but 240mm minimum) you don't really need a huge airflow to keep the CPU cooled since it's cool 'outside' air. I do note that Nzxt's big thing is liquid cooling so their cases are probably best used that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: nekkro-kvlt
Solution
Jul 6, 2021
That's about as good as you can do I'd guess! Have you tested it with the side cover off and blowing cool air to the front of the cpu cooler?
I'll give it a shot. I also noticed that my top FANs should be inside too, however there's still 2cm between them and top of the case, so I don't think it would change much putting them inside.