Question Motherboard not posting with new i5

MrScottishGamer

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
HI , the motherboard is an ASUS B85M-G , the motherboard posts with both an i3 4130 and a Pentium G3220 but when i install the i5 4460 the system refuses to post

i have tried updating the bios , clearing the cmos , removing all unnecessary devices and only running one ram stick. it is fair to say i am completley stumped , does anyone have any ideas?

The CPU was taken from a working system.

Have you tried one stick of ram in all 4 slots?
I know that my motherboard when I force shut off (Since Im too lazy to replace the cmos battery) it wont post, then I try with 1 of 2 sticks of ram in all 4 slots (vice versa) and try to post with one, then plug other one according to the channel and it works without issue.

HI , the motherboard is an ASUS B85M-G , the motherboard posts with both an i3 4130 and a Pentium G3220 but when i install the i5 4460 the system refuses to post

i have tried updating the bios , clearing the cmos , removing all unnecessary devices and only running one ram stick. it is fair to say i am completley stumped , does anyone have any ideas?

Bent pin needed by i5? What working system? Did you put thecpu back in theold system to make sure you didnt kill it?

MrScottishGamer

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Have you tried one stick of ram in all 4 slots?
I know that my motherboard when I force shut off (Since Im too lazy to replace the cmos battery) it wont post, then I try with 1 of 2 sticks of ram in all 4 slots (vice versa) and try to post with one, then plug other one according to the channel and it works without issue.
I've gave that a try with no result :/

Which i5 are you using? That Motherboard is a socket 1150, some require an 1151 socket. It is a 1 pin difference, but that can be a lot.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm. Op mentioned updating bios, assuming to v3206, is that correct mrscottishgam?

Would think v3206 would contain microcode for all CPUs supported on this motherboard. That's usually how it works.

v904 issued 2014 gave support for i5 4460, if all else fails, try flash bios to this version.

How is bios update performed? Via the bios or Windows?

MrScottishGamer

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Hmm. Op mentioned updating bios, assuming to v3206, is that correct mrscottishgam?

Would think v3206 would contain microcode for all CPUs supported on this motherboard. That's usually how it works.

v904 issued 2014 gave support for i5 4460, if all else fails, try flash bios to this version.

How is bios update performed? Via the bios or Windows?
i am currently on bios 3602 which is the latest version , i flashed using the utility in the BIOS

MrScottishGamer

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Bent pin needed by i5? What working system? Did you put thecpu back in theold system to make sure you didnt kill it?
I have attached a picture of the socket below , i don't see any bent pins but let me know if there's anything i'm missing
60542761-795062290877037-2252328811922194432-n.jpg