Question Motherboard not posting

Jan 23, 2020
Hey, I have recently bought a system which has an x99 strix gaming motherboard and I’m unsure of the processor, it has 32gb of ram and a Titan x, the battery was dead on the motherboard when I got it so I changed it out with the correct type however now after trying to boot it takes ages to get into bios and then gets the A9 post code. It displays the bios sometimes but only the screen no actual information is shown and it is frozen on that screen. After a couple of minutes on that screen it will shut off and then I have to power it on again, any ideas on what could be causing this?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A9 is typically something related to the BIOS (CMOS chip, corrupt BIOS etc).... but could be other issues too.

Try to see if you can post with only the bare minimum (CPU, Cooler, 1xDIMM and GPU), and see how you fare.

That board supports BIOS flashback via USB, so could be a route to go as a last resort - I recently revived an ASUS X79 board via this method.

Jan 23, 2020
A9 is typically something related to the BIOS (CMOS chip, corrupt BIOS etc).... but could be other issues too.

Try to see if you can post with only the bare minimum (CPU, Cooler, 1xDIMM and GPU), and see how you fare.

That board supports BIOS flashback via USB, so could be a route to go as a last resort - I recently revived an ASUS X79 board via this method.
okay thank you, I will try that. However if it keeps shutting down surely it is really risky to do bios flashback because then if it shuts down it will brick the motherboard

Jan 23, 2020
Just an update, I have tried with minimum hardware and it keeps shutting down while post codes keep changing, I have tried a different power supply however I have still had no luck, has anyone got any suggestions?