Question Motherboard not powering on

57bel

Reputable
Mar 7, 2018
Howdy all,
I have any asus x570 prime pro, and am having some issues. I tried putting on a icegiant elite siphon pro, and now my whole computer is dead. I have tried disconnecting everything but ram, cpu and Psu but still no dice. I jumpered the 24 pin and it turns on mobo and call fans spin but cannot get in board power switch or power sw pins to turn the lil rascal on. Ive tried reseating cpu, reseating ram, resetting CMOS and praying. Cpu is 5900x, Psu is evga 1600 gpu is 3090. Was working earlier today only change was heavier cooler. Examined board no chips on traces no stray componets no shorts. Any tips or suggestions welcomed. I believe its motherboard but not sure.

You TRIPLE checked EVERYTHING listed here at the following link? Everything.

Do that, and if you still have problems, then bench it.

Reactions: 57bel

57bel

Reputable
Mar 7, 2018

Thanks, I tried all the tips in the first sticky before posting. I will try benching it next. Is it possible caps need to trickle charge? Maybe leave plugged in for a few hours? I will let you know how benching goes tonight

No. There is no chance of that. Doesn't work that way.

Try taking the cooler back off and putting the stock cooler back on, and see if it works, when you bench it. Given the weight of that cooler I would not be surprised if it was the cause of the problem. Honestly, I'd return that cooler if it were me. Well, I'd have never bought it. I've read a lot of threads at various forums including this one where people have had serious issues with it especially when the motherboard is mounted vertically as in most cases as the weight of the cooler pulls on the socket and can cause some of the same issues as a CPU cooler that is unevenly tightened or pops free on one side/corner or is over tightened. It could also be that you overtightened it as well. But I'd test with stock cooler first to see if problem still exists.

Last edited:

57bel

Reputable
Mar 7, 2018

Sorry it took so long.
No. There is no chance of that. Doesn't work that way.

Try taking the cooler back off and putting the stock cooler back on, and see if it works, when you bench it. Given the weight of that cooler I would not be surprised if it was the cause of the problem. Honestly, I'd return that cooler if it were me. Well, I'd have never bought it. I've read a lot of threads at various forums including this one where people have had serious issues with it especially when the motherboard is mounted vertically as in most cases as the weight of the cooler pulls on the socket and can cause some of the same issues as a CPU cooler that is unevenly tightened or pops free on one side/corner or is over tightened. It could also be that you overtightened it as well. But I'd test with stock cooler first to see if problem still exists.
Howdy sorry it takes me so long, stock cooler is on right now. Still no dice. The motherboard leds light up, but the error leds do not. Its a heavy cooler that is for sure I figured since I had it in a horizontal config it would be fine. Guess I was wrong. It is benched atm and still no luck. No traces look like they have rised and no components seem loose. Doing a full comb over right now. Going to leave unplugged tonight and try again in the morning if I cant get it in next few hours. No speaker beep or error codes. Just the leds. Thamks for the help! Also which threads mention it? I went off amazon reviews and the tech reviews. Cannot find any reports on this issue.

Last edited:

57bel

Reputable
Mar 7, 2018
Seems problem still persits. Motherboard lights up but thats it. Just the aesthetic lights. Did a double check with my smd glasses everything looke fine. No noticable bow in the board or socket. Everything in sticky looks good everything in the posted bench was followed cant get past the speaker test of mobo. I had a similar issue with the same board, had to RMA it. Techs at asus said it worked fine mailed it back with only a bios flash and it worked fine. i tested with a working 3800x no dice. I honestly have 0 idea.

57bel

Reputable
Mar 7, 2018
Send it back again. If you already had problems with this board and they sent it back to you and you are having problems with it again, then there has to be a problem with the board and I would demand that they replace it.
Good Morning,
The board has powered up on its own. Woke up this morning to it turning on. I have never seen I termittem problem like this but I have opened a ticket. Will see how asus support handles this. Every thing o have bought from ASUS has been Absolutley awful.

And ASUS support has seriously fallen off over the last five years or so. They used to be great, and now, not so much. I've completely stopped buying their products because of problems myself and some others around here have had with them. Just, FYI.

Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed?

I'd put this on the bench to make sure you don't have something behind the board in the wrong place or something else shorting it out and to eliminate the possibility that it is related to the connections from the case front panel or mini board and wiring.