[SOLVED] Motherboard not powering up, maybe a short somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zach.fuller22

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Hey all, first post here.

I've just bought a new PC (my first build) with a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard, and it's not powering up at all.

I'm using an Antec VP450P PSU, which I can confirm is working, as it successfully boots other motherboards. PSU also works fine when jump starting it using a paperclip as I've read elsewhere.

The Gigabyte board that I have doesn't have any indicator lights (rookie mistake!) so I can't see if it's receiving power or not - I just have to assume it is because of the working PSU.

Stripped it down to the CPU (Ryzen 5 2600), its fan, and a single 8GB stick of RAM (Corsair Vengeance, 1 of a 2 stick pair) as well as a speaker.

When I plug in the 24 pin power and the 8 pin CPU power connectors, everything looks fine. Except nothing happens when the power goes on, even when jumping the power switch pins.

I HAVE been able to get it to boot once or twice while adjusting the 24 pin connector but I can't replicate this reliably. Sounds like there might be a short circuit going on somewhere.

Can you ever-helpful guys offer some advice? Or will I just need to RMA the motherboard?

Tl; Dr
Motherboard not powering up.
No fans, no nothing, even when jumping the power switch pins.
No indicator lights on the board at all.
Working PSU.
Very rarely boots up when adjusting 24 pin connector.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Solution

Thanks for the help.

Just curious, why is this necessary for the motherboard to receive power? None of the fans are spinning at all when I try to power the machine on.
It had nothing to do with your motherboard, theyre talking about posting to the monitor for some reason. If its occasionally booting up when you mess with the 24 pin connector, I'm guessing theres something wrong either with the slot itself or the wire. If the motherboard itself was just dead I dont think it would ever start up. Check with a nearby tech repair place and see if theyre able to install a new one potentially or just rma your board and hope...

zach.fuller22

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018

Thanks for the help.

Just curious, why is this necessary for the motherboard to receive power? None of the fans are spinning at all when I try to power the machine on.

Centurion1479

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

Thanks for the help.

It had nothing to do with your motherboard, theyre talking about posting to the monitor for some reason. If its occasionally booting up when you mess with the 24 pin connector, I'm guessing theres something wrong either with the slot itself or the wire. If the motherboard itself was just dead I dont think it would ever start up. Check with a nearby tech repair place and see if theyre able to install a new one potentially or just rma your board and hope for the best.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS