Question Motherboard not recognizing SSD ( Unresolved )

Jun 12, 2020
Hello to everyone that clicked on this post and thank you for looking and or answering!

I just recently built a custom PC from a website my friend showed my called PCPartPicker which showed only compatible items. I bought a motherboard, SSD, tower and cooling fan. For some reason the motherboard is not recognizing that SSD is installed. I was able to play games on it after updating the BIOS and messing with a few settings in the BIOS, but then it randomly shut down while I was asleep, and now I cant boot up windows, it just always takes me to a built in command prompt when I do not enter BIOS.

Problem, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 not recognizing Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD

Full Specs :
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard,
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD,
Nvidia 1060 Graphics Card,
Intel i7-4790 Quad Core,
G.Skill Ripjaws X series 16GB (2 x8GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

I have already done : Updated Bios and messed with a few settings but that's it.

Please feel free to help as I need it, thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020
Ok, graphics card out and monitor plugged into the mother board's HDMI connection.
It behaves the same, MSI Gaming splash screen then to EFI Shell cmd prompt and can't see the M.2 SSD in BIOS.

Sorry, should have stated that the power supply is EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

After assembly I booted the system up with a USB that had Win10 on it. The system didn't initially recognize the SSD in the M.2 slot so I updated the BIOS and enabled SATA 5 Hot Plug. Win10 installed and updated (with several reboots), I was able to play some games for two days and found it had shut itself down. When I turned it back on, it behaves as above, not booting Win10. I had shut it down and turned it on a couple of times.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020
I used the Win10 USB installation thumb drive to see if the motherboard would recognize the SSD but it didn't. I'm going out to see if I can find some external drive to put the SSD in to see if it's bad.

Jun 12, 2020
I took the SSD to the place where I purchased it, they said it was good so I can only assume something is wrong with the motherboard.

The seller of the motherboard is guessing the CPU or RAM isn't compatible but I'm able to play games with a 7400 rpm SATA and was able to use the SSD for two days.