[SOLVED] Motherboard not recognizing video card ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2021
I'm building a new PC with the below specs, and my motherboard is indicating it can't detect the graphics card.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GVK
Motherboard: ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB
Power Supply: CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x

The CPU doesn't have integrated graphics, so I'm unable to view the BIOS right now. Upon startup, the motherboard lights come on, all the fans spin up (including the Video Card's fans), the system beeps once, and it begins cycling through the Q LED status lights. Then I get a long beep followed by three short beeps, which indicate "No Video Card detected" according to the manual, and the BOOT (Yellow/Green) and Video Card (White) Q LEDs come on and stay on.
I tried installing my old system's graphics card (an EVGA GeForce 1060) instead of the 2070 to see if it was the card, and I get the same behavior. I also tried this in the second PCI-E slot with the same results.
During all my tests I've had an HDMI monitor hooked up from my old system (so I've confirmed it and the cable are working), and it's never displayed a signal from the new system during testing.
Clearing the CMOS via both the jumper pins and the battery method didn't result in any change.

I've looked up my CPU/RAM's compatibility on the manufacturer's website, and it says the CPU is compatible with BIOS as of version 2607 - the sticker on the board near the RAM slots ends in 4021, which is the latest BIOS version so I assume that's the one that's shipped on it. I don't think there's a way to update the BIOS without a video signal anyways.
My specific RAM isn't listed under Memory/Device Support, but it passes the DRAM check according to the Q LED lights so I don't think that's the issue.

The power supply cables are firmly connected (6+2 pin video card, 24-pin 8-pin and 4-pin motherboard) and I've re-connected them multiple times during testing. The Video Card fans spin when I power it up so I don't think power is the issue.

All this leads me to think the issue is on the motherboard, either the slot or maybe some setting in the BIOS I can't see without a video signal. I don't have a spare CPU with onboard graphics to look around with, and I've done all else I can think of at this point.

Any ideas while I wait for Asus support to get back to me?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Good catch on the BIOS version sticker on the motherboard, I'd have asked you to look for said sticker to understand what BIOS version you were working with out of the box. Using only the 8pin EPS, 24pin mains and the supplemental power to the GPU, while the system is breadboarded see if you're able to get the platform to POST. You speak of an older system, did you recycle any part from said older platform onto the new?

With the platform breadboarded, remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard while it's disconnected from the wall and display and replace after 30 minutes, see if that helps bring life into the system.

Dec 4, 2021
Yeah I tried to do some research beforehand, that's where I found the clue about the BIOS version on the sticker.

I've pulled the CMOS battery and left it sit for a few hours, made sure to only have the 24-pin and 8-pin (minus the 4-pin) motherboard power connectors in, then replaced the CMOS battery and tried it but it still behaved the same way - all fans (including GPU) come on, the speaker beeps once, it cycles through the Q LED tests, then a long beep followed by three quick beeps indicating no Video Card detected and the Boot/Video Q LEDs stay lit.

This system is built from all new parts, the only thing I transferred from my old system is the GeForce 1060 when I tested that instead of the 2070 to see if that was the problem. I'm planning on pulling the SSDs from the old system to the new one once it's working, but haven't yet.

Dec 4, 2021
I fixed the issue! It turns out the PCI-E 6+2 cable or that modular port on the power supply I was using was faulty - I had originally discounted power cable problems because the GPU fans were spinning up, but once I switched to a new cable/modular PSU port it detected the video card and I was able to pull up the BIOS on my DisplayPort monitor! (HDMI didn't work though, I read that might require a driver update first).
I'm now

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS