Question Motherboard not responding

Jun 17, 2019
I built my PCabout 6 years ago, an z97 msi mpower motherboard and a i7 4770k CPU. I noticed that my CPU was running really hot, even in the bios, so I wanted to try to putting on a new coat of thermal paste to see if that was the issue. When I put everything back together, my PC is completely unresponsive. I've applied thermal paste before without an issue, and I've already checked my PSU and it works fine, using a different one did nothing as well. The LEDs for the power and OC button light up but no error code is displayed. I've removed my GPU and only have one stick of RAM. I'm not sure if it's my motherboard or CPU that's at fault.

Did you remember to plug the CPU cooler back in?

Did you remove the RAM? Might need to double check that it is seated correctly and you may have bumped something loose while working on it.

You will probably want to tear it back down and make sure that you didn't bent any pins on the motherboard, as that is the MOST likely answer if the CPU was out of the socket.

Jun 17, 2019
Did you remember to plug the CPU cooler back in?

Did you remove the RAM? Might need to double check that it is seated correctly and you may have bumped something loose while working on it.

You will probably want to tear it back down and make sure that you didn't bent any pins on the motherboard, as that is the MOST likely answer if the CPU was out of the socket.
I double checked to make sure everything was as it should be. I'm using a h100i aio cooler and had it hooked up after applying the thermal paste. The RAM was definitely connected properly and I tried all 4 slots as well. I'll give the pins another lookthrough

There should NEVER be a need to try all four slots on any dual channel consumer motherboard. If you are using two DIMMs, they go in the A2 and B2 slots, period, no matter WHAT motherboard it is, if it is a four slot board and is a dual channel architecture. Those are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket and on some boards are called DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 but are still in the same locations.

If you cannot get normal memory function in dual channel at full speed using those slots then there is ALWAYS either a problem with the memory itself, or the CPU, or the CPU socket pins, or a CPU cooler that is either TOO tight or tightened unevenly at all four corners or from one side to the other. There is no reason to EVER have to use any other slots unless there is a physical problem of some kind and if there is then it needs to be resolved. Using a different slot is only ever a band aid.

If you have only one stick of RAM, it should be installed in the A2 slot which is the second slot over from the CPU socket going towards the edge of the motherboard.

357oq5c.jpg

It's also possible that you have a bigger issue that was right on the edge of having a breakdown, and tearing it down simply pushed it over the edge. We see this happen with motherboards all the time when they are five plus years old.