Question Motherboard on way out? power?

I got a PC back from a friend.. so refreshing it for my brother. First issue.. my USB keyboard is not recognised from boot, if I unplug and replug it in.. it detected OK. Keyboard is fine on my PC.. and another keyboard works fine on the PC. So I assume a dodgy keyboard and move on.

But when I reinstall Windows.. after it downloads and restarts.. I get no display.. but display comes back at end. I retest keyboard issue (in case it was a bad Windows issue) and keybboard still not recognised from boot.. but is when unplugged/replugged in. But I start to get "random" display issues (e.g. Boot post will show sometimes.. but not others).. so I check.. and it seems like sometimes it will use the discreet GPU and sometimes it will output to onboard graphics.. and sometimes both. Sometimes discreet work from boot.. but when I restart, no GPU display again.
So I go to BIOS and tell it not AUTO, but specifically to use discreet GPU as primary.. but the setting does not stay fixed in BIOS.. keeps resetting to "CPU" graphics..

More testing.. and it seems like it is not reliably detecting the discreet GPU (presumably why BIOS resets my setting, if it cant detect a GPU in PCIe slot).. I swap Graphics card but have same issue (may be even worse.. detects if less often). I reflashed BIOS.. just to check that got corrupted.. and reset (removed BIOS battery for 30 secs) to just try ensure BIOS reset and clear. Still having problems.

So given all this.. what you think? Motherboard on way out? could dodgy power supply account/explain all this?
Help please.. its driving me crazy!!!

Motherboard is a ASUS Prime H310M-K ver 1
Graphics cards I tried GTX 960 and GTX1060 (both worked fine in another PC when I last checked)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

check the CPU socket pins of the motherboard for bend ones

in which USB port did you connect the USB keyboards? front or back, USB2 or USB3

which BIOS version is installed?
how did you reflash the BIOS?

which CPU are you using?

Is a display cable still connected to the motherboard while booting with the GPU?

Which windows version are you trying to install? use the media creation tool of Microsoft

@helpstar Wow.. lots of questions :)

CPU socket? I have not touched that.. CPU been fitted for 2 years and not had problem till now.. so safe to say not bent pin?

I tried the keyboard in a couple of different USBs at back of PC - but did not try one at front of PC..

It originally had latest BIOS 2602.. but when I reflashed.. I went back to 2601 (if you try reflash same version, it does not actually reflash) . Reflash via the BIOS tool... from USB.

CPU is i3-8100

On cable connect - I tried every combo.. both GPU and onboard connect.. just GPU (when on occasions I would get no display).. just CPU (most reliably got a picture).. when both connected..(sometimes both would output, sometimes only one, CPU or GPU). at same time,, I was messing with BIOS options, trying "Auto", "PCIE", and "PCE" options, and telling it I dont want both to be supported (cant recall exact name of that option).. and was removing the onboard driver from device manager to try force windows to use GPU... so exact combo of all those options is not clear (esp as BIOs was resetting its options itself from the ones I selected).. so lets just say I tried MANY options.. and got inconclusive/random results :/.

Windows 10 2004 64bit.. I was ready to use the media creation tool.. but the reset worked from the settings option in the current install (which was 2004)

Hope that answers your questions.... shout if you have more.
Cheers

Last edited:
OK.. fresh day.. so simplified and retested..

on USB keyboard.. I tried on all USB ports (front/back.. USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) and was able reproduce issue on all.. but just for that keyboard.. which has no issues on other PC's. and in all cases.. when I had the issue (not every time).. just unplugging and replugging in.. windows then detected and it worked OK.. till next reboot.

On Display.. I reseated graphics card.. and went with the GTX960 (most reliable) and re-flashed BIOS to latest (2602) left it so that ONLY HDMI cable to GPU was plugged in.. and comp will now reliably display post info and windows display from a boot.... HOWEVER... if I restart, it will never output a display from GPU.... but if I then plug in the VGA from motherboard.. it will show that the display is there.. but has switch back to motherboard display.

So I went into BIOS (which was on defaults).. I then changed to not allow fast boot... and told it to use PCIe as primary display method... and retested.. but no change..

So is there a BIOs setting that I have missed that may influence/fix this behaviour on a "restart"... when a clean boot bill reliably get the display for GPU?
Or are we settled that the Motherboard is FUBAR?

Cheers

quick update to close this out.. got a new Motherboard (got a 310m-k R2.0 ... so close to original.. and just to try ensure it would boot from existing windows install.. and hopefully not say I needed a new copy of windows)
All issues resolved.. booted perfectly first time and outputs display to HDMI reliably - on boot/restart whatever..
So looks like it was a broken motherboard.
Cheers