Motherboard only works with minimum components...

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Hello I have an M5A78L-M USB3 motherboard but it doesn't work when I put in my GPU (AMD HD 7770) anymore. The problem started occuring when playing a demanding game and there were weird buzzlines all over the display. The GPU is fine though.

It used to work fine for 2 years. I have already narrowed the problem down to the motherboard and PSU (Coolermaster RS-600-ASAB) as anything else has been tested individually on a seperate computer. Unfortunately, I have no other PSU to test anymore. The voltages on the PSU appear to look fine (via HW monitor) and I tried the standard CMOS removal, vaccuuming components etc.

The computer only shows a display with the GPU removed from the motherboard, or when a low-power demanding GPU is installed which only draws power via the motherboard. The GPU, with which the computer won't give a display, is powered via a 6-pin to the PSU. So I'm running on internal graphics now. If I plug the GPU into the motherboard, but still let the display go via the internal graphics, the computer keeps crashing at the Windows circle logo and reboots continously. I see no broken transistors on the motherboard

Another strange quirk is that only the far right RAM-slot of the motherboard works, so that is suspicious...

Does anyone know what the solution to this problem might be? Either PSU or Motherboard?

If the gpu works on another pc and crashes when added to the target pc, then it is most likely a PSU problem. I say most likely because you cannot be certain unless you test with another better quality psu. That cooler-master unit is not very efficient and low quality.
Why dont you try to fire the target pc along with the gpu with the psu from the other pc, where you tested the card separately.

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

I no longer have access to any PSU from anyone as I'm quite remote for some time... That would be a good option though but would this also explain that only 1 of the RAM-slots work and the good voltages?

How long has the RAM slots been non functional??? Did it start along with the gpu issue???
If yes, then its certainly the psu. If not, then there could be something else playing up. Can you elaborate on the RAM issue more???
Did you do memtest on each individual slots???

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Thanks for the food for thought; 3/4 Ram slots have been non-functional 2 months (give or take) before the GPU problem. I insert two 4GB RAM sticks so that they should work together but only the far right one works. Both sticks work perfectly as I've tried swapping positions.

I haven't tried memtest as I think the problem is not with the RAM sticks as they both work fine in different computers too, do you still recommend me to do memtest?

If you can't use the HD7770 anymore, the problem maybe from the HD7770, PSU, or MB.
You may try:
1) Try up the GPU voltage little bit with MSI afterburner software, or even underclock little bit, sometime it may help because these steps will let the GPU runs stable.
And one more thing, if like you said: The problem started occuring when playing a demanding game and there were weird buzzlines all over the display. That means the GPU or PSU is not fine. You should test it in other PC, if you don't try yet. Also make sure the GPU temp is fine too.
2) Update the MB chipset driver http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064 that will make sure the MB has newer RAM and graphics controller drivers. If you done the chipset update, and you still have the RAM slot problem, that means the you can't use that slot anymore.
3) Use onboard iGPU, boot into the BIOS, and in hardware monitor section ( or PC health monitor section) to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. You want to see those voltages are within +/- 5%, if they are then the PSU is fine, otherwise the PSU is bad.

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

1) I tested the GPU in another computer and it worked fine, the GPU and CPU temperatures are low.
2) Okay, will try that right now and let you know the result! :)
EDIT: tried it, but it still only detects 4GB out of the 8 installed.
3) The voltages are all within range

Hmm, looks like the motherboard might be playing up more than the psu. The gpu anomaly could be due to the motherboard power controllers as well. Honestly, you need to do some more tests before we can pinpoint the issue. Do you have access to any other pc at all??? You need to test your components on another board before we can get to a conclusion.

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

No I really do not... But if I did, would I then test the PSU and Motherboard seperately and see which one is the culprit? Because I have a hunch that the motherboard is broken if all the voltages are within the margins... Or could it be that the voltages are not okay at certain times?

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Hmmmm, that won't happen anytime soon unfortunately but I see your point. The voltages are all well in the margin that cin19 decribed so... I will see what I can do.

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Ok so I tried to mount it with The gpu again and now the Ethernet cable port is broke. I tested the cable and that works fine. The computer doesn't detect the cable nor does it blink, I think the cause is with the motherboard.

This is what happens after I put in the gpu but let the display go via the internal gpu (cuz the big gpu gives a black screen anyway): https://youtu.be/kR4eziVmUX8

You can try it one more.

Remove the GPU, RAM, boot device, clear the CMOS ( note, remove the power core from the wall outlet first). After that boot the PC to see what happens. The pc will either boot or not boot.
1)If it can boot, but you get no RAM, no boot device, that means both MB and CPU are fine. Then add the components back one by one, you will know which part has problem in this way.
2) If the PC will not boot, either the cpu or MB has problem. Also what is your cpu?

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Ok I tried your method:
1) so it does boot with only the RAM inserted (in the only working RAM slot) but not without any RAM inserted. I get the "reboot with a bootable device" line with only the RAM, but the small screen led only emits a yellow standby light when there is no RAM sticks inserted. It does boot but there is no display then.
2) My CPU is an AMD FX-4100.

So I stress it does boot without any Ram but it doesn't show any display. I bought a new motherboard which will come in on Monday (M5A78L-M LX3) but any further help is appreciated

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

How do you know? It is normal to have no display without any RAM. Also I arrive at the "no bootable device detected' so that is normal too.
The optical drive just stopped being detected by the computer too xD

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Alright! I replaced the motherboard and the ethernet port and all RAM slots work again
However, when I plug in the GPU I get the same problem... no display (black screen)... I tested the GPU on another computer and there it works fine. Also I have the drivers for the GPU so I do not know what is the problem... Shall I buy a new power supply and test it?
I think the power supply is the culprit but I do not know how the power supply can make the RAM slots and Ethernet cable in the previous motherboard stop from functioning..

Also I tested the voltages at boot and they look normal, however when I open hardware monitor I see these shocking voltages... image But according to multiple sources these can't be trusted.

I do not know why the GPU doesn't show any display at all... To be honest what could be broken? PSU is fine, Mobo is new, CPU is place in new Mobo... Drivers are installed...

EDIT: So I changed the boot option to IGFX-GFX0 with the graphics card powered on and the computer keeps crashing. But I tested the GPU on a different computer and it works fine. Also I can turn on the power to the GPU while it's on and then it IS being detected... proof: proof
Also performed an OCCT stress test but the computer doesn't shut down unexpectedly or something

That fx4100 does not have an igpu, does the new board has one??? Else how are you booting to check hardware monitor???
Can you get into BIOS??? Have you updated the BIOS version??? Have you tried clearing CMOS and Jumper settings on the board???
If you can get into BIOS, make sure that display option is selected as your dedicated gfx.
Can you test with the psu from the other pc, where you tested your card???

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Yeah the board has an internal gpu
1) Yes 2) Yes! 3) Yes 4) If I do this then I get a black screen, if I however boot from my iGfx WITH the GPU in, the computer crashes at the windows screen. 5) I will test a new PSU tomorrow (I bought a new one)

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

I think it's the GPU actually, the tester may have lied to me but ill let you know!

TRENDING THREADS