Jul 2, 2021
Initial problem was temps of 90c+ while gaming (98-100c in borderlands 3). I did a 100% cleaning of all fans, no effect. I repasted the cpu, no effect. I reseated the cpu, no effect. My AIO h110i water cooler was working fine according to multiple temp and fan control programs. I admit, I have been using the pc for a few months at these temps because I didn't know the the cause.

I have recently learned that being 4, 1/2 years old, my h110i could be the issue. I bought a brand new h150i, hoping that would solve the issue. Unfortunately when removing the old cooler from the cpu, lines of thermal paste went over the motherboard. I cleaned it up with 91% isopropyl. Worse when I removed my cpu (for the first time ever) and saw there was a tiny amount connecting three of the pins at the edge of the socket! I was shocked, why did they leave a tiny gap at the edge of a lga1151 socket?!

Anyway using a lint free cloth, I tried to remove it, which was pretty successful. The problem was lint free doesn't mean tear proof! Lol I had caught the cloth on a few pins, leaving tiny dots of paper fluff! I found my tiniest tweezers and removed the fluff but in line with my track record (as you can probably tell by now), I bent some pins in the process! On the positive, they were only mildly bent. Anyway I used my phones magnifying video and the smallest needle I could find to try straighten the pins, plus remove the traces of thermal paste I could see.

I thought I'd done a good job. I put the motherboard back in the case, recabled everything back up and switched it on. It turns on, all the fans start, the AIO light turn on (rotating colours) but there is no bios beep or output of any kind. I'm not sure if the pins aren't connecting, pins are arcing because of paste killing the cpu, the motherboard doesn't like me changing the AIO or something else. Can anyone help please?

Jul 2, 2021
I took the cpu out of the socket to see if I'd missed any thermal paste linking any pins and noticed I'd missed a bent pin. I'll get round to straightening it later and see if that fixes the issue. Hopefully it hasn't damaged the cpu, when I booted the pc.