[SOLVED] Motherboard or Memory cant run at 3200 MHz

Feb 28, 2020
Ram: CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W

Motherboard: GA-AX370-Gaming 3

PSU : Corsair RMX 850W

GPU: GTX 1080

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

For awhile i had been having problems with BSODS and game crashes all really leading back to hardware issues, alot of the time memory issues. I dont use this computer often, as a result i dont get to really test it, its mainly used for entertainment and light gaming by someone else. A couple days back i wanted to play the division 2 on it since it had been awhile since i played anything on this computer, after about 2 minutes, not even 30 seconds into the tutorial the computer completely locked and had to restart the OS. I thought it was weird so i monitored the temps, the GPU never got above 80c and the CPU stayed at around 60c. I figured maybe it was the game so i tried another demanding game (playing at 1440p) ARK survival evolved. Once again the temps never got higher than that, and the game lasted for about 3 minutes before another crash. I launched it again since ark is still buggy, yet again another 3 minutes into the game it crashed.

I looked at windows reliability monitor and it just threw me hard ware was the cause of the crashes. I tested my memory using windows memory diagnostic, and it told me everything was fine. Finally i decided to get a final answer to rule on the memory and did a mem86 test (memory is running XMP 1 at 3200mhz which is the recommended speed). Not even 2 minutes into the test i already had about 4 errors. I let it run for about an hour and a half, not doing all 4 of the test but close to finishing, it finalized at a 46% pass rate in the logs, and obviously a fail under the test and about 346 errors and some issue with the hammer test. At this point i was upset since i did not wanna wait for RMA from corsair so i decided to run the memory at 2133 and run mem86 again just to see if the memory was completely useless. This time the test ran for an hour and did not find a single error. Relieved i figured id try 3000mhz and see how it goes. Once again this time for an hour and a half the test ran and was a 100% pass rate. Now i do not know how memory works, these signs are they showing a motherboard issue, or can memory sometimes just not be able to run stable at its pronounced speed? Mind you my motherboard is compatible with 3200mhz (OC) on the manual. If anyone has had a similar experience or insight that would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
First, try the latest bios on your motherboard.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

If that doesn't help, follow the below steps in order:

• In bios set your ram to 3200mhz with rated timings.
  • Set memory voltage to 1.4v (can use 1.45 if 1.4 doesn't cut it)
  • Set SOC voltage to 1.1v
  • Save and exit
1st generation boards and ram can sometimes have memory issues, especially if you have SKhynic ram (which I suspect), however, you should be able to get 3200mhz if you do the above.
Feb 28, 2020
Also my motherboard auto applies the voltage at 1.35 which is what the memory needs to run at 3200mhz, if i higher the voltage for the memory will that make the speed more stable?

First, try the latest bios on your motherboard.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

If that doesn't help, follow the below steps in order:

• In bios set your ram to 3200mhz with rated timings.
  • Set memory voltage to 1.4v (can use 1.45 if 1.4 doesn't cut it)
  • Set SOC voltage to 1.1v
  • Save and exit
1st generation boards and ram can sometimes have memory issues, especially if you have SKhynic ram (which I suspect), however, you should be able to get 3200mhz if you do the above.

Solution