Motherboard or Power Supply issue?

Jul 16, 2018
My pc started acting strangely and seemingly loses power and restarts itself at random times. Now sometimes it wouldn't even turn on and sometimes when it does it powers on and off continously. That alone should indicate psu problem however before the restarts started to happen the jack at the back loses signal from time to time, however a quick unplug fixes this usually. Also I noticed hissing sounds coming from my headset and the sounds wary from the tasks I'm doing on the pc and sometimes it just freezes and certain tasks cease to work while others are still functioning as intended.

Solution
You say you just moved, could be faulty outlets if it's not just a loose or damaged power cord. If you don't have a UPS, I'd at least recommend a surge protector. Even a cheap one (I bought an APC 425 for $40 just for my network equipment) is enough to protect you from flickers that might reboot the system.

I'm just kinda shootin in the dark here, issues like this are hard to pinpoint sometimes.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Hissing from speakers usually indicates either badly shielding wires or a bad ground/connection. When you say "jack at the back" loses signal, are you referring to the headphone jack?

Check all your connections, reseat them if necessary. A loose power cord can cause all sorts of wonky stuff. You should also check windows log/event viewer, maybe it'll have something in there to indicate the cause for the reboot.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
You say you just moved, could be faulty outlets if it's not just a loose or damaged power cord. If you don't have a UPS, I'd at least recommend a surge protector. Even a cheap one (I bought an APC 425 for $40 just for my network equipment) is enough to protect you from flickers that might reboot the system.

I'm just kinda shootin in the dark here, issues like this are hard to pinpoint sometimes.

Solution