Question Motherboard or power supply or even CPU problem?

Lynnzer

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
I have just built a system comprising the Fata1ty B450 K4 gaming M.B, a Ryzen 5 3600, 8Gb ram, and installed it into a new case with a 500w power supply.
The only other part added is a Gigabyte 1733 wi-fi adaptor. I had to use extension leads so that the 24 pin and 4 pin power leads could reach the appropriate slots.
The M.B. headers are in the correct place with the correct + & - placement. I have usb 3 output to a separate hub with 6 slots to it.

All connected as per expected but when I switch on at the main on/off at the power input, there's some red flashing taking place from a very small nodule of sorts just to the right of the system battery. The usb hub light come on though they seem to constantly move from dim to bright. There is no light on the top of the case to show power, hdd activity etc and of course the power button doesn't start things going, nor does pressing the reset switch.

Now, and this may be crucial, on opening the box with the ryzen cpu it fell out and bent a few pins on the kitchen floor. I straightened them out with ease, didn't snap one off either. However given that, is it more than likely this whole problem is geared around the cpu? If the cpu was knackered, would the other system components such as fans, header lighting etc be disabled as a consequence. Whatever it is, I am confident that all leads, headers are correctly connected. Any ideas guys?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
On the bios chip there's a small sticker with which bios the board came, can you tell which one?

Ram is dualchannel or single? two sticks or one ....

And what is "A 500watt" power supply"=maker+model. Just curious. You talk about 4pins, not 8 pins, which makes me cringe a little.

Lynnzer

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
Bios chip has info as can be seen on the attached photo.
Ram is a single 8Gb Corsair which, due to it's not being doubled with another identical one, would be a single channel. (must get another now I discovered that.)
The power supply picture has all the details on it. It has a 24 pin that goes to ATXPOWER1 and a 4 pin that I have put into the ATX12v 1 socket. That socket has 8 pinholes so I have put the 4 pins into the right pinholes, as they are the only ones that it fits into. Picture shows.
I'm suspecting that's the problem personally. I have a spare power unit with the 24 pin and 8 pin connections so if you tend to agree with me then I'll swap them over to see if it makes the difference.
Links:
Motherboard picture
Motherboard detail
Power supply
Bios picture
4 pin connector

My spare Power unit is one of these

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Both horrendous psu's which you shouldn't combine with such nice new hardware.

xxJoEJG.png

you made if i'm not wrong a picture of the "Super/IO" which you called Bios picture here circled as yellow, need a picture of the bios which is circled red in this picture.

It could also be the chip circled in blue here (not on this picture,but there is one on the motherboard,
IhSjuL9.jpg

Last edited:

Lynnzer

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
The chip in the red box shows P3.90 on it.
The yellow circle has a M.2 SSD area.
So what about PSU's.
I see there are modular and non modular. Which is which?
I'm not into gaming, not much more than web-design and some graphics and movie watching.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The chip in the red box shows P3.90 on it.
That means that the bios is not a problem.

So either the cpu still has a bent pin or those two psu's are just not up to the task. And would really see them in the bin (no offence).Would really look at a better psu for these nice parts. Even a Corsair CX 550watt would be a nice upgrade which should not be too expensive or maybe an EVGA B5 550watt, but for this one are there no reviews yet so might have hidden issues.
Maybe in your part of the world there are other options, but let me know.

Lynnzer

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
That means that the bios is not a problem.

So either the cpu still has a bent pin or those two psu's are just not up to the task. And would really see them in the bin (no offence).Would really look at a better psu for these nice parts. Even a Corsair CX 550watt would be a nice upgrade which should not be too expensive or maybe an EVGA B5 550watt, but for this one are there no reviews yet so might have hidden issues.
Maybe in your part of the world there are other options, but let me know.
Thanks Vic. Just to try things out, I have fitted (just) my spare Cooler Master and will attach all the other external bits and pieces soon.
I honestly think you hit the nail on the head with the 4 pin ATX 12v connector. As this is for the CPU power then 4 pins probably wouldn't be enough.
Will get back once I connect everything and give it a go.

Lynnzer

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
So, that didn't work.
No difference. Watch the video clip. You hear me switch on, then there's a small capacitor or something that flashes red a few times and comes to a stop, then you can hear me switch off.
None of the lights on the case are working still. No power light, no hdd activity light etc.
Surely these would still come on even if the cpu was knackered wouldn't they. They are motherboard related things aren't they and the motherboard has a separate power connector to the CPU.
Video clip here.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The motherboard has red leds around the chipset, mean nothing, just decoration.

I really would try a better psu.

Did you recheck the cpu for bent pins?

Can you try and breadboard? Or show pictures of how everything is connected to the motherboard.

You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Lynnzer

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
The motherboard has red leds around the chipset, mean nothing, just decoration.

I really would try a better psu.

Did you recheck the cpu for bent pins?

Can you try and breadboard? Or show pictures of how everything is connected to the motherboard.
Just taken all the leads off the back to bring it down into my workshop. Last thing I disconnected was the USB 3 hub which has a separate power supply. It was still showing dim lighting on the on/off switches along the hub, then when I disconnected the lead from the rear case terminal all the lights came really bright again. Strange......
I'm going to look at the cpu now for bent pins or not correctly located in the socket.
Really running out of options now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nope.
I took the cpu out, all seem OK. Replaced it onto the socket.
All the leads are correctly placed. Really, there's not much to check there. The 24 pin power lead cannot be placed in its socket the wrong way and is properly seated.
The 2x4 pin cpu sockets linked together also fit properly into the 8 pin ATX socket. I have tried with using only a single one of them, ie a 4 pin of both of them singly to both left and right of the 8 pin socket. No difference.
I had a spare 6 pin connector from the pcu but I figured that this is for a PCI-E so doesn't go anywhere.
All the drive connectors are correctly located, I mean you really can't go wrong with SATA's and their power inputs.
Anyway what happens now is that the motherboard has a few more lights showing on it when the main power input switch is turned on. The usb hub stays brightly lit all the time but no lights for power or hdd activity appear on the top of the case. Also no fans kick in.
I'm beginning to think that this may be down the cpu being dropped. Even though the pins seem OK perhaps there was some internal damage. Problem there is that to check it would need me to buy another one. OUCH.
I don't think that the PCU will be the cause. Even if it isn't really up to prolonged graphics power demand, it should still manage a bootup.
So, 2 options remain. The cpu is knackered, or the motherboard is? Both costly.
Only thing to do now is ask about the headers.
I have them on the correct pins as far as I can tell. I was initially wondering about polarity though. I have the pins marked with an arrow onto the + pins. A couple more connectors, ie usb internal connections have a socket with a + and a - showing so these are easy. Is the + an arrow on the other header pins. If I swapped them over would that cause any damage? Does this appear to be a potential cause anyway?

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Guess that you didn't drop the motherboard so if you think it's that would an rma be good to try.

Which gpu are you using?

Can only guess taht you mean frontpanel connectors when talking about +/-, just look at the motherboard manual.

And in all honesty, get a better psu. Still think this might be your problem. From what i found is your extra psu an old Cooler Master elite which were terrible. And now it's has aged which probably means it will even be worse.

Last edited:

Lynnzer

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
Guess that you didn't drop the motherboard so if you think it's that would an rma be good to try.

Which gpu are you using?

Can only guess taht you mean frontpanel connectors when talking about +/-, just look at the motherboard manual.

And in all honesty, get a better psu. Still think this might be your problem. From what i found is your extra psu an old Cooler Master elite which were terrible. And now it's has aged which probably means it will even be worse.
rma? what's that?
Yeah, frontpanel connectors. If the pins were actually on the wrong + or - pins could that possibly cause a problem? I'm certain they are correct but would try them switched over if it didn't cause any damage.
I think a good way to move on now is to have my Ryzen 5 checked in someone else's computer. Problem is that all local repair shops are in shutdown.