Question Motherboard or PSU at fault.. I'm not sure??? Please help

Jonno1812

Reputable
Apr 24, 2016
Ok let me explain what happened as much as I can without waffling on too much.

my PC was Working Fine. I have been playing on a vr I got a week ago.

I ordered a cable and the Cable came in post it was a hdmi to DisplayPort cable ( hdmi end for tv - dp for gpu.)

Plugged in the cable it was showing no signal.
Removed and tried hdmi - back to normal no changes.
Tried DP cable again and again no signal. I had my vr set plugged into the hdmi socket in gpu. Unplugged the vr and plugged in the hdmi and dp at same time
signal was coming through on dp but was coming through as hdmi according to tv. ( tv quite old) but it only worked when both were plugged in otherwise DisplayPort didn't work at all.

so some time passed and I turned the computer off later on and went to back to boot up... it was running very slow. 5-10 min boot time.. the windows desktop was very delayed (laggy)

hmmm confusing...

I Rebooted and it was suddenly showing no signal under hdmi or DisplayPort when plugged into both - the GPU and direct mobo connections of the same type( hdmi, dp) so now it won't boot at all.
So I removed the gpu and still won't boot onboard using hdmi.

I once again tried my gpu -FAILED to boot- and then tried a separate spare gpu -FAILED to boot - under hdmi and DisplayPort.
I found that if I plug a VGA Cable directly into mobo that the pc will boot up (but via only not hdmi or dp) as long as a GPU isn't plugged in. Also now it won't detect my 2x rear usb 3.0 when plugged in.
The front panel usb 3 seems to work.

Im just needing help deciding whether its the PSU or Mobo thats broken from what I've explained.then I can replace it.

I have reset Bios by using jumper technique and removed cmos battery also. Ive tried to force pcie boot for the gpu to no avail. I don't seem to get any error sounds either.

Any ideas? Back to the Toms Tech Team.
Thank you for reading.

Jonno1812

Reputable
Apr 24, 2016
Are you still trying to use the DP cable you got in the mail? Have you considered it could be defective?
Thanks for getting back to me😊

No I haven’t used that cable since. It wouldn’t boot. I went back to what was working originally hdmi and now even that doesn’t work. In either hdmi slots. In mobo and gpu. The pc now ONLY boots with vga and there can be no gpu installed or it just shows the black screen. All fans spin up though.

Jonno1812

Reputable
Apr 24, 2016
Update, just powered up the pc again tried the vga connected with gpu I stalked and it has booted. I’ve been on the website and downloaded latest drivers. Successfully installed. Rebooted under hdmi direct to gpu and black screen again. My brain is getting mashed up

A few things to consider; your motherboard is configured to turn off the on board graphics with a GPU plugged in. Further, the use of VGA draws a lot more power than using a digital signal, so since your system is wrokig in VGA mode and the same failures occured with other GPUs, it would seem to rule out the GPU or PSU as the cause. I found this fix in the event you have a conflict between your GPU and onboard graphics, 1.Go to "Control panel" 2. Click "Hardware and Sounds" 3. Click "Device Manager" 4. Go to "display Adaptors" 5. Disable your Intel motherboard graphics display 6.Turn Off your PC and unplug all power to it 7. Connect your new GPU into your motherboard and connect DVI / HDMI cable and power on. While your troubleshooting this issue, you should disable Fast Start up, so your RAM will be flushed of any data as you shutdown and reboot. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Added after posting; I would also check the HDMI and DP sockets and plugs to see if there is any damage to the contacts and do the same with the cables. I would also make extra sure the plugs are fully inserted in all the sockets; even a small amount of not bottoming the plug into the socket can cause similar problems. You may even wnat to invest in some new cables. The fact the GPU worked after being re-inserted, makes me believe it may not have been inserted correctly the last time.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS