Motherboard or Ram problem - computer keeps crashing every now and then?

onionsrock

Prominent
Apr 15, 2018
Hello,

I put together a PC recently and noticed that I was having three main issues.

1) Periodically, my computer would not be able to give the monitor a signal (on the monitor it would sometimes say No Signal Detected).
2) When it does boot, 50% of the time it says only 8 gbs of the 16 gb installed is usable.
3) When 1 and 2 are no longer problems, my computer would BSOD every now and then (once every like 2-3 hours).

I think the problem is with either the ram or the motherboard dimm slots. But I actually don't know which one it is...

I have an Asus Prime x370-A motherboard and the Corsair vengeance 3000 mhz 16gb kit. I tested both ram sticks and they work sometimes, and they don't other times... I also tried all slots in the mobo, again they work sometimes and they don't other times... I tried each combination at least 5 times - maybe I'm just stupid and I'm not putting it into the mobo the right way? But then why the BDOS? I'm so confused...

The rest of my parts:
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Ti DirectX 12 GV-N107TGAMING-8GD
Patriot Burst 240 gb ssd
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
WD Blue HDD
Seasonic FOCUS 550W Gold 80+ power supply

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Hey, I am having with problems with my RAM and motherboard as well and I suggest you run Memtest86. (www.memtest86.com). If it tells you that RAM have errors, then probably it is a memory issue. But I think testing your sticks on another PC will be the best way to know if it's your motherboard or your RAM.

Maybe it's a bit late to answer, but hope it helps
Apr 9, 2018
Hey, I am having with problems with my RAM and motherboard as well and I suggest you run Memtest86. (www.memtest86.com). If it tells you that RAM have errors, then probably it is a memory issue. But I think testing your sticks on another PC will be the best way to know if it's your motherboard or your RAM.

Maybe it's a bit late to answer, but hope it helps

Solution

onionsrock

Prominent
Apr 15, 2018

Hey thanks man. A few days ago I ran memtest86 and received no issues. I was failing prime95 too but actually got it to run stable on stock settings for a day after continued trials so I was super confused. In the end I found that the motherboard was the problem haha I guess one of the slots was faulty. Got a replacement and my set up works like a charm now. Hope your problems get solved too