Motherboard Output help?

CMStorm

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I am very quickly losing patience on this issue after trying to fix it for far too long.

I have an ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard, and plugged into that is the nVidia 660ti.

I have plugged my HDMI cable into the nVidia 660ti and it works a treat, however I want to connect my TV and another screen to my computer using the only two available connections (1 HDMI and 1 VGA) that are both on my motherboard.

Unfortunately the problem is, none of the motherboard output sockets give any output, and it just gives no signal on the TV or screen. This happens whether the first screen is plugged into the 660ti or not. It's not a cable problem, TV or screen problem.

Can anybody think of a solution, I would like to avoid unplugging the card and trying then if possible but if needs be.

Many thanks in advance to all.

Solution

Sounds like you got it, the blue ports are DVI (Digital Video Interface). Use the adapter you have if your using a VGA monitor. Otherwise if you need 3 HDMI connections, get a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter. You can use either DVI port for HDMI.

Good luck.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Usually, when you use a discrete (add in) card for video, you need to disable the on board (built in) video manually or the motherboard detects the add in card and auto disables the built in video.

I haven't looked up your MB so I don't know if maybe your suppose to be able to use both simultaneously or not. I don't think so.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
It looks like you should be able to use multiple outputs from the MB connectors, WITH the add in card removed.

As another suggested, doesn't your 660ti have several connectors on it? You need to use those otherwise. I googled 660ti and see pictures of cards with multiple outputs.

OK question why do you not connect the two other monitors to the GTX 660ti. Since with the GTX 6xx cards you can run 3 monitors on a single card?

However your board does support running the igpu along with a dedicated GPU aslong as your CPU has a builtin igpu. Since you did not list what CPU you have it is hard to say. And that is the main thing if the CPU does not have a igpu onboard video will not work.

If you have everything you need then you will need to go into the BIOS and enable the igpu. Set your PCI-E as primary and enable the onboard. After the reboot install the intel igpu drivers and you should be good to go.

Just to double check tell us what CPU you do have.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

So your saying, even though the specs on the ASUS website mention the different video outputs with " integrated graphics processor" they are really talking about the IGP in the CPU and NOT a chip on the motherboard???!!!! Interesting, ya learn something new everyday.

CMStorm

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for your answers, I am unable to find any setting to enable onboard graphics in the bios, and on the card there is only one HDMI input, the other 3 inputs are alien to me.

MSI%20660%20Ti%20outputs.jpg

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
The two big ones are DVI, one looks like its prob digital only and the other analog. You can put a DVI to VGA adapter on the analog one. The other connector must be display port.

The one in line with the HDMI is the analog port.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That processor supports igp so not sure whats going on here, it may be the case Intel not supporting dual graphics with both discrete + igp.

Also might be a bit of confusion but that card is all digital, no analog there. The Two blue ports are dvi, one hdmi and TheDraac is right the other is Displayport. I doubt your monitor supports DP connection but can get an adapter, as well as dvi to hdmi or dvi to vga adapters/cables

DP to Hdmi
th

Dvi to Hdmi
th

Dvi to Vga
th

Might be an idea to connect hdmi and the top Dvi port to their respective displays as that card supports upto 4 displays.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

In the picture, the bottom DVI port is a DVI-I port, it carries Digital AND Analog signals. So it can run a VGA monitor.
The top DVI port is a DVI-D port, it is Digital only. With a DVI to VGA adapter, usually included, you can run a VGA monitor on the DVI-I port bout NOT the DVI-D port.

CMStorm

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Ok so using an adapter that came with the card I am now using a HDMI to HDMI cable, and a VGA - the blue one that I don't know the name off. I am ordering a Display Port to HDMI cable then all of them will have squeezed onto the card. It is frustrating that I have to go to these lengths though. Thanks for your help everyone.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

Sounds like you got it, the blue ports are DVI (Digital Video Interface). Use the adapter you have if your using a VGA monitor. Otherwise if you need 3 HDMI connections, get a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter. You can use either DVI port for HDMI.

Good luck.

Solution