[SOLVED] Motherboard overheating 7700k + Gigabyte z270N-Wifi

Apr 24, 2020
Hi guys,

I currently have my computer overclocked to 4.7ghz @ 1.33v, and cannot figure out why my motherboard temperatures are thermal throttling my CPU. My cpu runs at idle at around 32deg~ and underload around 75-80deg, but when running prime95 causes the VRM sesnor to jump to 110deg degrees and will drop my vcore down from 4700mhz to 800mhz causing the system to lock up. It also happens in games when underload it will cause severe stuttering. There is no airflow restrictions in the case, and have tried all variants of LLC, currently running it on auto, because anything higher causes temps to skyrocket, even on my cpu. Also tried turning all OC off and still climbs to 110-111 degrees and throttles the cpu.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ceilJEq
screenshot of temp issue (temps 5 in OHM is the VRM sensor)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
In Prime95, disable AVX / AVX2, then run small fft torture test, default. That's a 100% load. If AVX technology is enabled, it's closer to a synthetic 130% load on the cpu and temps will skyrocket.

With that cooler, you shouldn't be seeing beyond @ low 70's with small fft test, so I'm wondering just how well you have the OC dialed in, or if you are using higher than necessary voltages on other settings like ring or vid or sa agent etc. LLC should be @ medium or 50-66% at most. Vcore isn't the only thing that needs adjustment in OC.
Apr 24, 2020
Ok how long has it been since you reapplied thermal grease to the cpu ? :/
What type of cooling method are you doing, at 4.7ghz I imagined its water cooling right ?
Which version of prime 95 are you currently using ?

re-pasted it the other night, cpu temperatures are fine even when 100%, idle temps are around 30-35 and max temp is 80.
CPU is running a h105i corsair cooler, but the rest of the cast is on air 3 front, 3 at top pushing down
prime95 - p95v298b3

Getting an issue also, i turn reset bios to get rid of all settings (running stock) and have had to up the voltage on the cpu otherwise the system will hang (potential cpu degredation), upped it to 1.3v and still randomly freezes sometimes

Apr 24, 2020
remove case cover, and blow a small case fan across mainboard's power regulator (VRM) circuitry... ; AIO's have no fans on the pumps, often depriving the chipset of any airflow. Some need it...

Yeah i might have to try this, running a thermaltake view71 case, running default settings im getting no issues in games with vrm temps, max i hit last night was 80deg playing cod, its when i try to run any overclocks or add any LLC(load calibration) is when the temps skyrocket and just bottleneck the system. Although i can't run prime95 on stock either it takes the temps to 110

re-pasted it the other night, cpu temperatures are fine even when 100%, idle temps are around 30-35 and max temp is 80.
CPU is running a h105i corsair cooler, but the rest of the cast is on air 3 front, 3 at top pushing down
prime95 - p95v298b3

Getting an issue also, i turn reset bios to get rid of all settings (running stock) and have had to up the voltage on the cpu otherwise the system will hang (potential cpu degredation), upped it to 1.3v and still randomly freezes sometimes

Thats not a good sign there, if you cannot get the motherboard to be stable, call gigabyte in the morning.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Contact
+1-626-854-9338
Just be chill about it and explain the issue to them, also ask to speak with tier 2 technicians.
It will make the process much easier on you and they can diagnose the culprit.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In Prime95, disable AVX / AVX2, then run small fft torture test, default. That's a 100% load. If AVX technology is enabled, it's closer to a synthetic 130% load on the cpu and temps will skyrocket.

With that cooler, you shouldn't be seeing beyond @ low 70's with small fft test, so I'm wondering just how well you have the OC dialed in, or if you are using higher than necessary voltages on other settings like ring or vid or sa agent etc. LLC should be @ medium or 50-66% at most. Vcore isn't the only thing that needs adjustment in OC.

Solution