Motherboard pin question

Nilley

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
Hey forum!

I've just bought a PSU (A Corsair CX600M) that arrived today. After fiddling around with it, I realized that I now also need a new motherboard.
I've found a few ones that fit my current processor, my GTX 970 that's arriving in 2 days, and the PSU.
My only question is that on the pictures, it would look like as if there's no 4-pin that goes from the botherboard, through the HDD and up to the DVDRW.

So, do I need the 4-pin, or is there an alternate way? I recieved a good bunch of cables alongside my PSU, I imagine some of them could be useful.

I apologize if I use wrong terms and confuse you all, I'm still in-training with all this tech-stuff :)

Solution
Hi Nilley,

To power the HDD drive and DVD drive you will be using the SATA power cables that run directly from your PSU. They should be marked on the connectors as SATA and have a long flat connector head.

If you are asking about the SATA data cables that run from the motherboard to the HDD and DVD drive, those usually come with your motherboard. They will plug in from a SATA plug on your motherboard (these will be clearly marked) and run into the back of the HDD and DVD drives right next to the SATA power cables.

The big 4-pin power connectors are called MOLEX connectors. They are used mostly for powering older equipment & fans that don't run on SATA power.

ALSO, I hate to be a debbie downer but the CX power supply line is...
Hi Nilley,

To power the HDD drive and DVD drive you will be using the SATA power cables that run directly from your PSU. They should be marked on the connectors as SATA and have a long flat connector head.

If you are asking about the SATA data cables that run from the motherboard to the HDD and DVD drive, those usually come with your motherboard. They will plug in from a SATA plug on your motherboard (these will be clearly marked) and run into the back of the HDD and DVD drives right next to the SATA power cables.

The big 4-pin power connectors are called MOLEX connectors. They are used mostly for powering older equipment & fans that don't run on SATA power.

ALSO, I hate to be a debbie downer but the CX power supply line is notorious for failing (and possibly taking out the rest of your hardware with it). If you still have a chance to return it and replace it with something like the SeaSonic M12II for roughly the same price I would highly recommend doing so:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

Solution

Nilley

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
Ah, damnit, I should've looked more into the PSU before I bought it!

But I thought as much as I had to use the SATA cables, looking through what I got and my different options. I just wanted to be entirely sure before I ordered the motherboard and started fiddling too much with it!
Thanks for the answer mate