[SOLVED] Motherboard POST and RAM

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hi Everyone,

May be a dumb/stupid newbie question, but i am building a PC part by part over the course of a month.

I've so far got the CPU cooler in, the GPU, and the motherboard and all the aux accessories. Soon i will be purchasing RAM and the SSD.

Being impatient as i am, because ive got 2/3 necessary components, no RAM installed yet. i decided to turn it on to see if i could play around in the BIOS.

It turns on, but all the motherboard RGB lights (logo is supposed to light up etc.) dont turn on, the CPU cooler doesnt light up but seems to be working (you can hear the water pump pumping but the logo on the CPU block doesnt turn on), and the GPU doesnt seem to be getting any power (GPU doesnt light up, and no monitor signal). Also, it wont turn off with the power button, when i hold it, the power button light just flashes and it doesnt do anything. The PC keeps running.

I have already double checked all the ATX power cables, and there seems to be nothing loose.

So effectively looks like the lights are on but nobody is home. I read that without RAM it wont POST, but this just seems to be dead. Would this potentially be a fried/defective mobo? I'm just concerned and i wont have RAM until next week, and only have DDR3 ram so i cant test the DDR4 motherboard.

Note: The case didnt come with a speaker, so i cant hear the beeps.

Thanks in advance

Solution
you can't do anything without ram, even to see the bios post. yes they will run, fan will spinning, but they just like dead man walking. and I recommend to buy all the parts together, so the waranty will not be a wasted.

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks guys. I bought RAM, re-seated the GPU and powered it on, but nothing was getting power still. I replaced my PSU with a brand new one (original PSU was from my previous build) and it worked! I had a Corsair AX860 which is 80Plus Platinum, but i guess nothing lasts forever.