Motherboard & Power supply Problem (new assembly)

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello,
It's been a while since I've attempted to assemble a system. I bought a kit from TigerDirect. The problem is correctly connecting the power supply (Orion HP585D) to the motherboard (Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3). The MB has both a 24 pin socket and an ATX_12V (8 pin socket). The power supply as a 20+4 cable and a 2nd 4 pin cable. I currently have the 20+4 connected which leaves me with only a 4 pin cable and an 8 pin socket (ATX_12V). Do I remove the other 4 pin connector from the motherboard (remove zip ties) and combine it with the other 4 pin connector and attach to the 8 pin (ATX_12V) socket or am I missing something? :sweat:

Solution

The Corsair GS series are good psus. The one I listed is better but runs $90. If you can get it for $60 then get it otherwise get the Seasonic gold.
HEC can make ok power supplies but the ORION HP585D is not one of them. With a whopping 15A on the 12V rail (180W) I hope you don't plan to do anything other than surfing and word processing. You can't buy a good 585W psu for $29. One of the things to look for is an inflated power rating but small amps on the 12V rail. 3.3V 28A 5V 30A 12V 15A. I bet there is even a fuse in there.

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

How is this power supply from Amazon?

1000 Watt 1000W 140mm Fan ATX Power Supply 12V 2.3 EPS12V 2.92 Quad SLI-ready PCI-Express SATA 20/24 PIN Intel AMD by KENTEK

http://www.amazon.com/Supply-EPS12V-SLI-ready-PCI-Express-KENTEK/dp/B00596U0YQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1360449299&sr=8-7&keywords=eps+power+supply

The HEC came as part of a kit from Tiger Direct. I guess I'm a little surprised that they put this Power Supply in this configuration!
So would you suggest I don't bother with an adapter cable and just replace the Power Supply? I was building this system to replace an 8 year old HP desktop... video conversions were starting to take a bit longer then I was wanting to wait, that and due to it's age I figured each time it boots up might be its last. Just in case it is a factor, the processor is: AMD Phenom II, X6 1045T Six Core Design.

Thanks in advanced.

Are you planning to SLI in the future? If not that is way to many watts (and a lousy psu.) Your wattage on the power supply will depend mainly on the graphics cards you are going to install. Let me know the card and your budget and I can recommend a good psu.

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

The video card that came with the kit is: MSI RS450 (1gb DDR3) but I have a buddy who had recommended a Geforce GT 620SC (2GB). I was going to have him compare these two cards... if there's not a big difference I'd just stay with the MSI RS 450... if he tells me the Geforce is significantly better I'd consider picking one up.

In terms of power supply, of course budget is a consideration as to some degree, how soon can I get it. That's why I was checking BestBuy, Walmart, Amazon...

I would greatly value your recommendations on the power supply as well as video card if you have any thoughts.

Is the HEC (original power supply) really that bad? I'm not a gamer but I will be doing some video conversions and maybe set the system up as a media server.
Thanks

Do not try to go cheap on the psu. A cheap psu will not deliver the advertised wattage, nor deliver it on the 12v rails where it is needed, nor at anything above room temperature.
If it fails, it can destroy anything it is connected to.

Here is one list of psu's sorted by quality tiers:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

The size psu you need is gated by the discrete graphics card.
Here is a handy chart for sizing:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

With no discrete graphics card, 300w is sufficient.

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

I had to look up SLI to see what it was... I guess that means I won't be doing SLI.

I do plan on running dual monitors (current config is setup that way)

Im sorry but you can't buy a cheap power supply.

Answer my question about SLI and graphics cards.

Look at this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119
A Seasonic gold 550W fully modular. This one will be still going even after all 3 of the ones you listed have died. There are cheaper options but I like the more efficient supplies.

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

OK, how about the Corsair GS Series GS600. Frys has it for about $100 but they do price matching and I think I saw the same model elsewhere for about $60. If guys think this is a good compromise, I'll go pick this up and be done with it.

The Corsair GS series are good psus. The one I listed is better but runs $90. If you can get it for $60 then get it otherwise get the Seasonic gold.

Solution

That is a very good unit.

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Ran out and picked up the Corsair GS600 at Frys (with price match).
1st, let me say there is an obvious quality difference even for the untrained eye just by looking at the 2 units side by side.
I got it installed and powered up the unit, with the new DVD-WR drive but no HD yet. Everything looks OK so far. Just need to install a hard drive and check the various front panel ports to make sure I have those connected properly to the mobo.

Found a Win7 DVD and it booted from that, so I assume the DVD drive is connected properly.

Trying to decide if I want to get an SSD for the OS and a 1 TB HD for everything else. Trying to keep my cost down but there's a new gotcha around every turn.
Currently running video off the motherboard so tomorrow I guess I'll try and install the video card but not really in a rush to do so. I'd like to get a feel for exactly what kind of performance this baby is going to have before I spend additional dollars.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has attempted to help and old, out of touch guy. Like I said, things sure have changed over the past 8-10 years when I was really active with PC hardware.

Ken

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I'm excited... no blue smoke...
Installed a hard drive this morning (1.3TB Seagate) , installed the OS and now trying to decide where's a good stopping point. In an effort to keep current cost down I'm trying to decide on maybe one more upgrade: Video card (can get the GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB) from Frys for $139 (after rebate) or get a 120GB SSD drive (about $100). Of course there's a 3rd option, install the low-cost video card that came with the kit and do the other upgrades at a later date.
Any thoughts and sorry for straying off the original topic but I sense a great deal of knowledge here.
Ken

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
After writing my previous message and giving a little more thought I think I came up with a logical decision: best to add the SSD drive now and upgrade video later. If I wait to add the SSD later (6 months, year, etc.) I will basically have to reinstall and the OS and all the apps and docs again... that's a lot more work involved when compared to popping in a new video card and driver. This makes sense right?

TRENDING THREADS